X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a Consumer's understanding, Please

Long story, short. Heat wave coming, last night turned on A/C to prepare, worked good putting out cold air, couple hours later the inside fan/blower quit working. Outside unit freezing up and left off all night. This morning called for service.

It is a Trane XV 80 Furnace with XL15i HP. 5years old in August.
    Parts still in warranty.

Serviceman tells me that the blower motor, circuit board, module, and I think something else. He tells me that in this case, because still under warranty, rather than fix the one part that has broke down, it is recommended to replace all. Makes sense to me.

Now, the part I don't understand. The bill is for $601.00. $89.00 for the service call, the rest for the warranty work replacing the parts still under warranty. When questioned, was told that he was getting his numbers out of his company rate charges. I asked for a breakdown and was told that I had to call the office but it generally included the paperwork involved with warranty work and other administrative costs along with the labor. Their per hour rate is $89.00.

Now mind you, I'm not against paying for work that is needed, but I don't understand how parts still under warranty can be so costly, especially when what is needed to be replaced can be uninstalled and reinstalled in less than an hour.

I'll admit that I'm old and may still be living in the past and out of touch with today's repair costs, just want to know if this all sounds like it's in the ballpark with what you guys charge.

Thanks

Ron

Re: For a Consumer's understanding, Please

I am not sure anyone will tell you what they would have charged and shouldn't. I do think that the cost per hr should include overhead like office people. Did he not tell you up front what the charge was going to be?
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Not asking for quotes or estimates, just trying to understand how that an hour's worth of labor, Ok I'll give it two hours, can be so costly doing warranty work and if this charge is the norm, ie: Ballpark reference.

I just figured that there would be some Trane Techs that could enlighten me.

And Yes, this was all quoted up front.

Ron

Comment

I doubt labor is included in the warranty. They should have notified you about that. Their price is their price. I think they overcharged but they were up front with you.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

I never implied that I expected labor to be under warranty, I knew ahead of time that labor would be charged. Please, use a little reading comprehension here. Maybe this will help to understand my question.

Service Call; $ 89.00
          Parts; $ 00.00
          Hourly Rate for Repair; $ 89.00
          Labor Cost for Repair; $512.00
          Total; $601.00

Those truly in the field will know exactly what labor is involved with replacing the blower assembly of this particular unit.

I will say no more, will wait for others to comment.

Ron

Comment

I REALLY don't want this to turn into a debate over the hot button term I'm about to use. But that company is Flat Rate. They have a set charge for each service they are providing. Each of those parts to be replaced gets the charge taken from a price book. It's not right or wrong, it's a business model. Try calling another Trane dealer and asking pointed questions.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

it's an hour worth of work and the bill was $601.

i would call and speak to the owner and if that goes nowhere, call up the trane and speak to the customer service manager and ask them for some help.

but honestly, why did you let them go ahead with the work, already knowing that your cost was so high?

hopefully the rep at trane will help you with this. were they the ones that recommened this company for the warranty work?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post

I never implied that I expected labor to be under warranty, I knew ahead of time that labor would be charged. Please, use a little reading comprehension here. Maybe this will help to understand my question.

Service Call; $ 89.00
                Parts; $ 00.00
                Total; $601.00

Those truly in the field will know exactly what labor is involved with replacing the blower assembly of this particular unit.

Ron

I understand fully. You don't have to try and be disrespectful because of your lack of knowledge and lack of shopping. You could have taken the diagnosis, called other companies and shopped the price. If you found a better one, pay the man for the diagnosis and pay the other company to come out. You have buyers remorse. You knew going in to the deal and you agreed to the price. Honor your end of the deal and take it as a lesson.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

Oh, and I hope they don't have to send the parts back to Trane to find out they were not all bad because you may have to eat the cost of whatever the part or parts were.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

Yeah, I'm doubting everything was bad. Sometimes electronics are fickle and will take their neighboring components out with them, but I woldn't call it normal.

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                    Oh, and I hope they don't have to send the parts back to Trane to find out they were not all bad because you may have to eat the cost of whatever the part or parts were.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      Yeah, I'm doubting everything was bad. Sometimes electronics are fickle and will take their neighboring components out with them, but I woldn't call it normal.
                      Unfortunately some "techs" don't spend the time needed to troubleshoot and they think its easier to just start replacing everything. I am surprised they didn't try replacing more. I have seen people replace perfectly good condenser fan motors when it was just a weak capacitor.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

Thats where the lazy in me shines through. That capacitor is WAY easier to replace than that fan. I'm testing that sucker First.

Unfortunately some "techs" don't spend the time needed to troubleshoot and they think its easier to just start replacing everything. I am surprised they didn't try replacing more. I have seen people replace perfectly good condenser fan motors when it was just a weak capacitor.

Comment

how long was the guy actually at the house? 6 hours?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post

Service Call; $ 89.00
                            Parts; $ 00.00
                            Total; $601.00

Ron

lol
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

I understand fully. You don't have to try and be disrespectful because of your lack of knowledge and lack of shopping. You could have taken the diagnosis, called other companies and shopped the price. If you found a better one, pay the man for the diagnosis and pay the other company to come out. You have buyers remorse. You knew going in to the deal and you agreed to the price. Honor your end of the deal and take it as a lesson.
                              Gettinit.....listen very carefully.....I don't, didn't, or want to get into a pissing match with you, but there must be one of three things happening here. Either, one, you are reading something different than what I'm writing. Two, you're reading something between the lines that I didn't say, or Three...I'm not sure. Every reply you've made has been way off base. Plus, it says that you are a Plumber, not a HVAC guy (no insult implied or intended). You started off by I am not sure anyone will tell you what they would have charged and shouldn't. Didn't ask that. Then, Did he not tell you up front what the charge was going to be? I believe that was mentioned. Followed by I doubt labor is included in the warranty. Never was a question to begin with. Then to accuse me of of being disrespectful to you because you apparently were not understanding that I was just asking for an opinion. I Don't have lack of knowledge and lack of shopping Never implied that I was having this, You have buyers remorse. And lastly, I hope from you, Honor your end of the deal and take it as a lesson. and Oh, and I hope they don't have to send the parts back to Trane to find out they were not all bad because you may have to eat the cost of whatever the part or parts were. Don't have any idea where you got all that from.

So, in review, all that I can conclude from you is the same.

Lack of GOOD Reading Comprehension

I apologize to everyone else that has responded for my "I just Don't Get It" moment I just had with this guy.

Rick (another Plumber, so I'm not accused of being bias) as usual, a voice of reason and an understanding the original question, Thanks for your take.

Again, to everyone. I'm not complaining. I'm not bitching, I'm not upset or mad. Just wanted to get an idea from others before approaching their office on some things that I may not be aware of in today's market. Also, as a side note, nowhere was it mentioned that I had the work done or that I was not seeking other estimates. Contacted these people first because they installed the system as a replacement and was very fair in pricing then.

Gettinit, hope tomorrow is better for you.

Ron

Last edited by lreops; 06-20-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X