Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window a/c question

Hi guys,
    I have a 2 room cabin at the lake.Both rooms are 14x24(336sq.ft.) with a doorway between the 2 rooms. I have installed an 8000 btu window unit in both rooms.Can somebody explain why when i have both units running and the door left open between the 2 rooms they both run fine and cool like they should. When i shut the door between the 2 rooms one unit works fine shuts on and off like it should, but the one in the other room seems to quit cooling and the temp rises. If i open the door between the rooms then it starts cooling down in the room. Mind you I have taken the one a/c back and replaced it 2 times. thinkin it wasn't working properly.
    Any response will be appreciated.

thanks , Huck

Re: window a/c question

I have exactly the same problem. If you get an answer to this, we will both know the solution.

Comment

And here i thought i was alone in this problem. Hopefully a HVAC guy will chime in here soon

Comment

Well the BTU capacity is good for the square footage you have. An 8,000 will handle 300-350 square feet. Let me do some thinkin' on this one & see what I can up with. Hey that door ain't switched is it?

Comment

What's the brand & model numbers of these beasts?

Comment

Hi Jonesy, ty for replying here. The model numbers are the same for both. (LRA087AT7) made by frigidaire. Purchased them from lowes (got a good deal on'em)
            They have an economy mode which is great at night. they shut off when temp is reached,then the fan comes on,every ten minutes or so, runs for 20 seconds to sensor the air temp. If called for, the units then come on and run till desired temp again. This is where my problem occurs. I go to bed , wife stays up late , so I shut the door thats when the temp starts to rise in the room.Fan runs through its cycle, but unit never comes on to cool. If she opens the door an hour later, to check temp in room, she has to turn unit on regular mode for it to start cooling again.

(Hey that door ain't switched is it?)

LOL not yet . But thinkin about it!!!
            • Thanks Huck.

Comment

Have you tried running it without being in economy mode and the door closed? Sounds like that (economy mode) is the problem at just a quick glance.
              Last edited by Gettinit; 06-29-2012, 12:49 AM.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                I have exactly the same problem. If you get an answer to this, we will both know the solution.
                I am guessing that you already went through the wiring diagram on yours...When in economy mode what is calling for the unit to start the ac cycle? Relay? That seems to be the problem if it is getting power to it. What have you narrowed it down to? Can you even get to anything without ripping it into a bunch of pieces?
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

Swap the units with each other and see what happens. If the problem still exists in that same room, then it would seem to be as issue in the room itself. Crazy, crazy!!! Maybe you're generating more heat than the wife???

Comment

Mine malfunctions in the economy mode only. If I run in normal it works fine but the fan is louder obviously because the fan runs at a higher speed. Interestingly, this problem only occurs at night when the temp outside drops into the 60's or low 70's. During the day, in economy mode it cools the room fine with the door closed.

Comment

Does it have a separate sensor that detects outdoor temperature? I would assume they do or why even have an economy mode...what would be the purpose? I meant to call the manufacturer today because you got my curiosity but I didn't get the chance. This might explain why during the day it is hot enough to let it work "properly" during the day. I wonder if it is smart enough that it is also looking at the temperature differential inside and out? Let's say if the temp. Differential is less than 10F it will not let the ac come on?

I am sorry for the assumptions and I think it manufactured that way.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

I think you are right. I doubt it looks at the temp. differential Inside/out. As the outside air temp drops to like 68ยบ it will just run the fan while the BR temp continues to climb as the attic heat bleeds back into the BR. I guess an outside air reset would be too much to ask for in a window shaker...lol

Comment

What are you guys really saving with economy mode anyway? Does it not have a thermostat?
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

Not tryin to save anything but the noise at night while tryin to sleep.

So far this new one is working fine ,so maybe a lemon in the bunch.

Thank you for all of the responses. good luck with your a/c killavolt!!

Huck

Comment

I have one A/C Unit that does the same thing, go figure..I have to keep the cool temp all the way up...

Comment

Working...
                              X