X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nest wifi thermostat

was at my brother in laws house today and he had just installed a "nest" new heating cooling thermostat. it's wifi enabled and has an app for your smart phones. pretty cool or hot if you ask me

it's designed by some x apple engineers and after taking a closer look, it too is made in china.

the wifi/ smart phone feature is real nice as you could monitor your home temperature and adjust accordingly from the road. plus on a computer you can really tinker with settings and energy audits.

normally i don't tinker in hvac, but this was cool. he ended up purchasing it at lowes as it's sold out pretty much everywhere else.

rick.

Nest introduced its smart thermostat in October of last year only to find that there was greater initial demand for its product than originally thought. This good-looking device is super smart.

Nest introduced its smart thermostat in October of last year only to find that there was greater initial demand for its product than originally thought. It has taken months for supply to catch up. The well designed device evokes images of an Apple product — not surprising since it was designed by the former chief architect at Apple — and promises to learn your heating and cooling habits. That should save money on utility bills and also alleviate the need for constant knob turning to adjust your home’s temperature.
    Essentially, the Nest thermostat should look good when you see it and manage your environment automatically in the background. If that’s the case, the Nest should simply be forgotten once it learns your comfort zones. Does it achieve that goal? Yes, it does.

Nest Installation is a snap

It takes about 15-30 minutes to screw the base plate to the wall, connect the wires and attach the Nest. The device has Wi-Fi built-in, which you connect to your home network at the time of installation. You can use the Nest with secured wireless networks.
    Included with the Nest is a small screwdriver to assist with the installation. The base even has a built-in bubble level to ensure your Nest won’t be askew. And there are optional mounting plates, which you can paint, to cover up any holes from the prior thermostat.
    A thermostat can actually be sexy and fun to use

Most people don’t think “bling” when describing a thermostat, but the Nest is beautiful to see. It’s a round metal knob with a circular display on the front. That’s it. To navigate the Nest’s interface, you simply turn the wheel through menu options and push the Nest in to choose an option: Simple, effective and intuitive. You can manually adjust your temperature by turning the wheel. And the screen won’t waste energy by constantly displaying information.
    Instead, the screen times out in a few minutes and automatically wakes up when it senses you nearby. Yes: there’s a motion detector in the Nest and it’s not just for the screen. When Nest senses you’re not at home, it can adjust the thermostat up or down to automatically save energy. When Nest “sees” you get home, it disables the Away mode. Other useful items on the display include a blue or red background when cooling or heating, respectively, the current temperature and a green leaf when you’re saving energy.
    How smart is the Nest?

Unlike traditional programmable thermostats where you have to key in various temps, times and days, you simply set Nest manually throughout the day and evening for a few days. In about a week or less, the Nest learns your climate habits and tells you that you no longer need to adjust the thermostat. From then on, Nest handles it all.
    You can manually modify your temperature at any time, of course, and Nest will keep learning from that interaction. But I found that I really didn’t have to adjust the thermostat much at all over time. Even better, the Nest app for iOS and Android make it easy to remotely adjust the temp without even walking over to the Nest. Or you can log in at Nest.com via a web browser to make the adjustment.
    Does Nest save energy?

Yes, it does !

Additionally, the Nest team recently added a new cooling feature called Airwave that should save money. The theory is that your air conditioning keeps making cold air for 5 to 10 minutes after it shuts off. The Airwave feature takes advantage of that cool air by blowing it in the home after the A/C shuts down. As a result, your air conditioner could run a little less while still cooling the home.

phoebe it is

Re: nest wifi thermostat

Very cool Mr. Rick. This is certainly cutting edge technology for the HVAC industry. I'll have to share this with my students. Thanks for the info.

Comment

My neighbor has one and he's been trying to talk me into buying one for a month now. The thermostat is very neat looking, but the only thing I'm concerned about is, where I would install mine nobody walks by so it can track our movements.

Comment

Honeywell has some cool stuff that goes beyond just the thermostat.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I did some research and some reviews about this new technology and I read a lot of positive comments. Some devices may be hard to install, but once installed I read just comments of happy people who were able to cut their energy bill. So I really think ther's certainly future for this. By the way, Nest came s one of the best.
          Read detailed reviews about wireless wifi thermostats on http://www.wirelesswifithermostat.com !

Comment

Working...
          X