Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural gas Pressure Reducer required for an indoor gas barbeque?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural gas Pressure Reducer required for an indoor gas barbeque?

Previous owner enclosed the back porch and installed an indoor gas barbeque.
    Black pipe comes out of the wall into the divided cabinet below the barbeque.
    The pressure regulator and gas valve takes up much space in the right cabinet.

The gas shut-off valve can be piped straight up into the YELLOW-coated flexible connector to the barbeque.

Is a pressure regulator really necesasary?
    Is the gas meter pressure regulator not enough reduction?

There is a gas shutoff in the floor in the corner of the room (Just like many gas fireplaces have.)
    Must a second shutoff also be in the cabinet below the barbeque?

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Natural gas Pressure Reducer required for an indoor gas barbeque?

I would think one would be wise to find the manual on the grill, (down load one or contact the manufacture), and see what the pressure it is designed for, and then you need to know what the line pressure is on the gas, line and go from there, (before and after the regulator).

before i would change any thing I want to find out how it is designed to function (pressures)at and if it is set up right currently,

the Is a pressure regulator really necessary? really can not be answered with knowing some things, the designed pressure, and the line pressures,

I understand where your thinking is, but before you tear some thing out and start to change things, you need to know what and why your doing it,
    but I would think that the regulator would be there for a reason,

and unless one has the proper manometer you most likely will not be able to get a proper reading off the gas lines,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added,

It may be that the orifices are not correct in the unit and it was there method of adjusting it to the higher altitude thin air, (orifices many times need to be down sizes to the altitude, you at +5000 feet,

may be wise to bring in some experienced with the type of system and have it checked out,

I really think you would be wise to get some one who experenced with gas appaliances and can do the calculations on the orifices, and the pressures and see if it is set up correctly and if not get that way,
    Last edited by BHD; 09-29-2012, 06:26 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Natural gas Pressure Reducer required for an indoor gas barbeque?

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      I would think one would be wise to find the manual on the grill, (down load one or contact the manufacture), and see what the pressure it is designed for, and then you need to know what the line pressure is on the gas, line and go from there, (before and after the regulator).
      before i would change any thing I want to find out how it is designed to function (pressures)at and if it is set up right currently,
      the Is a pressure regulator really necessary? really can not be answered with knowing some things, the designed pressure, and the line pressures,
      I understand where your thinking is, but before you tear some thing out and start to change things, you need to know what and why your doing it,
      but I would think that the regulator would be there for a reason,
      and unless one has the proper manometer you most likely will not be able to get a proper reading off the gas lines,
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Added,
      It may be that the orifices are not correct in the unit and it was there method of adjusting it to the higher altitude thin air, (orifices many times need to be down sizes to the altitude, you at +5000 feet,
      may be wise to bring in some experienced with the type of system and have it checked out,
      I really think you would be wise to get some one who experenced with gas appaliances and can do the calculations on the orifices, and the pressures and see if it is set up correctly and if not get that way.
      Thank you.
      Years ago I calculated the orifice of a propane gas mantel lamp (sold for travel trailers) which I illegally installed in my house. I had to drill the orifice hole larger for natural gas. (Can't remember the size but had to buy the drill bit.)

Is a shutoff required right where the flexible connector attaches?
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
      X