Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother's furnace is 12-years old. Time to buy a spare Hot Surface Ignitor?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's furnace is 12-years old. Time to buy a spare Hot Surface Ignitor?

Rheem furnace: RGDJ 15EARJR
    SN: EB5D307 F060 000926 (Is there a date code in this?)

Cheaper to get the HSI on line somewhere? Where?
    Must it be Rheem or are there compatible generic parts?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-12-2012, 06:01 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Mother's furnace is 12-years old. Time to buy a spare Hot Surface Ignitor?

Looks like you have the most commonly used HSI out there. It would be wise to have a spare on hand. There are many silicon carbide generics, too. StarLite makes good ones. White-Rogers and Honeywell (GlowFly) both make silicon nitride upgrades that will fit this furnace. Nitride should last the life of the furnace as it is much harder and will handle more heat and dust.

EB5D307 F060 000926 ---> after the F 0600 ---> 06/2000

If you type your query into Google shopping you should get many listings for this ignitor (here's one for $22 Rheem Ruud Furnace HSI Ignitor 62-22441-01 62-22548-01 )
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Ebay is your best friend! As mentioned HSI for for that matter drying machine (as in washer and clothes dryers) use ignitors with the exception the mounting hardware and brackets are tailored for it's particular application. Items are cheap purchased via ebay however it's "feast or famine" so I lurk and when I see ignitors at a unbelievably low price I bid and usually stock 2 for the house. Same item at retail obviously is overpriced which is why you should ocassionaly throw a look at eBay.

As ahomeowner I've been using Ebay for year for all my needs (mortise locks, Medeco lock cylinders, flushometers...all new, ocassionally pilfered/stolen but who cares just so long as I get a bargain. I've gotten brand new Sloan Royal Flushometers as low as $10.

Comment

Originally posted by swong View Post
        As ahomeowner I've been using Ebay for year for all my needs (...all new, ocassionally pilfered/stolen but who cares just so long as I get a bargain.
        The parts I suggested are actually cheaper than eBay. I looked.

As for your above comment, remember that for when someone breaks into your house and steals your most prized possession. I may buy it cheap on eBay. Who cares!
        ~~

Comment

Most of the sellers on ebay are reputable however like everywhere you get the ocassional bad apply on ebay. I especially like ebay as I mentioned earlier for it's pricing, ability of source hard to get and even obsolete items. This forum in particular provides me with lots of plumbing and drain cleaning knowledge which you cannot get out of a book. Best contributors are still sewer rat and rick...2 of the most knowledgeable, well versed, and most importantly patient members of this forum

Comment

Make sure to report the bad apples. Keeps everyone safe.

I think everyone on here in the professional's section has something to contribute. Many of the applications or procedures differ from area to area and tidbits can be gleaned and applied to many different kinds of problems.
            ~~

Comment

Working...
            X