X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace Reset - help

I require some advice. My furnace stopped working the other day I think because of some renovation work at my home that is causing dust etc. We will be replacing the furnace post renobut just trying to keep it going a little longer. Have been. Replacing filters. Anyway it stopped the other day and I found that the fan would not come on. I tried the manual fan button but only heard an electrical hum. So I took fan out and cleaned it up etc, hooked it back up and it now comes on with the manual fan switch. However, the thermostat will no longer trigger the furnace flames. The pilot is on but I can't get flames to kick in. My question is - is there a reset or something I may have to do on the gas valve or something. And if so how do I do that?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Furnace Reset - help

If you pull the little knob on the fan/limit controller and the fan spins you have power. check to see that you have 24 volts from the transformer. if not, check all connections/replace transformer. if you have 24 volts remove the thermostat and jump R and W. if the flames turn on you have a bad thermostat.

Now, if nothing happens, reattach the thermostat, make a call for heat. Check all limits (high, roll out, flue, etc) for 24 volts. One lead of the tester to ground, the other checks each terminal of each limit. At a reading of zero you have found the problem area.

As you have renovations done it could be the high limit, if its not included as part of your fan/limit switch. sometimes they get stuck if they trip too many times.

if the pilot is on, and the gas valve turned to ON, it should engage when power is put to it. rarely does a gas valve fail but allow pilot gas to flow.

The make and model of your furnace would be helpful to us to further diagnose.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks you for the suggestions. I will endeavour to try them out. The furnace is an Airco and the gas valve is a honeywell VR8200A2132

Comment

Airco with the honewell Fan temp switch...

Hmmm, Sometimes when the limit trips the coil / element breaks and the switch wont reset.

While the thermostat is calling for heat , Use your fingertips and manually rotate the the silver dial (under the cover) counterclockwise and see if anything happens,

-Can you make the fan come on?
        -Can you make the flame come on?

Comment

I have a honeywell thermostat as well - the programmable type. I have adjusted the temp up and down etc but can't get flames to come on. I have also set the thermostat to off and then back on again with no luck. Yes, since I took the fan out and put back the fan does work with the manual fan button.

Comment

Jay, The Fan center / temp switch will be in the furnace mounted to the furnace above the gas valve, If you have one it may have a white button on it to manually trip the fan on...

My disclaimer is that I dont think I have ever seen an Airco but not that I think about it I may be thinking of another brand...LOL

What is the make and model number of the Furnace?

Comment

Olsen makes Airco products. It sounds like the furnace is a much older unit.

Edit: make model and serial number plates can be found:

- on the sides of the inside of the furnace cabinet
              - on the floor (upper blower deck) of the inside of the burner compartment
              - inside the blower compartment
              Last edited by Plumber Punky; 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM.
              ~~

Comment

Yes it is an Airco by Olsen The model is AWES2-90D. Yes, as noted in am able to turn the fan on with the manual fan switch. The problem is I can't get the flames going. Thanks.

Comment

Also, I have tried removing the two wires from the gas valve that go to the thermostat and 'jumped' the two connectors on the gas valve - nothing. So I guess that means the thermostat is okay. Also there is a different type of button (I guess you could call it that) that is mounted to the furnace above the gas valve. It is round, About the size of a nickel with just a thin piece of metal on top that you can depress (push in) ever so slightly. This 'button' has one wire that goes to the gas valve and another that goes to a small back box. The other post on the black box is wired to the gas valve. I have depressed the button thinking it may reset something but no luck. Not sure if any of this helps. I wasn't able tomeasure any voltages as I'm really not certain how/where to do that.

Comment

by jumping or crossing the gas valve terminals you may have just burnt out your thermostat. i think you may be well beyond your skills now and may require the help of a professional. the button is probably a high limit that may have stuck. take the handle end of a screwdriver and give it a sharp rap. this *may* reset it.

but do call a professional.

Olsen/Airco are satellites of ECR International. The website no longer references your furnace.
                    ~~

Comment

I had thought the suggestion was to remove thermostat connections from the valve and jump the two connections on the valve to see if flames would come on. How could it burn out thermostat if thermostat wasn't connected? Anyways, I will try rapping that metal button as suggested to see if that gets anything started...

Comment

I had thought the suggestion was to disconnect thermostat wires from the gas valve and cross the two connections on the valve to which they were attached. How could the thermostat be damaged if not connected? I did try tapping that round metal 'button' but still nothing. Gis is a little frustrating because I did get the fan going good (previously not coming on) and now it is just as if the furnace needs a signal to say it is okay to come on now.

Comment

Here's what I said:

" if you have 24 volts remove the thermostat and jump R and W. if the flames turn on you have a bad thermostat."

how can you get the valve to open if the wires are not attached to it?

if the thermostat was not connected it is probably in the state is was last in.

you need to call a pro. if the tapping here and there and basic diagnosis cannot fix it, then you need someone with the proper tools.
                          ~~

Comment

Thank you so much. Ok, I was able to get the flames on after some tapping etc on that button (must have been a stuck reset switch or something). Anyways, the problem that remains is that the fan sometimes will not go on. Even with the manual fan button it sometimes just hums. What I have done a few times is turn off power, take fan out, spin it around a little (seems to spin very freely), put it back in and then it will typically work. I got it going last night and put it on 'manual on' thinking it might be best if it just ran without going on/off. once in a while i do hear some squeeking noise. After some time though the fan goes off and will not come back on. Is it worth opening up the fan motor to perhaps clean and/or replace something? I just need to get a few weeks out of this furnace as I do not want to replace the furnace while renovations are happening. Any suggestions on the fan/motor?

Comment

your high limit was stuck. you need a new motor and capacitor. there is nothing you can do to prolong the life of either one.

i saw your other post. try not to double-post, it's confusing
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X