X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gas Valve Question??

I have an old Rheem Gas Pack, question is it would'nt fire up...So I hit the gas Line with a wooden mallet and she fired up...Anyone hear of this??...Thanks

Re: A Gas Valve Question??

LoL. Thats my first line of troubleshooting on a sump pump.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Why did you think that hitting it with a hammer would work? Something you read or someone told you about?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Plumber shows up at customers house for same reason. Retrieves rubber mallet from truck and whacks the water heater. Tells the customer that will be $300.00. The customer freaks and tells the Plumber to break it down on the invoice. Plumber writes out. Tool rental $1.00. Knowing where to hit it $299.00.

Comment

hilarity

gas valves can wear out. sometimes a hard shock can cause them to un-stick. being exposed to many temperature changes such as in a gas pack can enhance the problem.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
            hilarity

gas valves can wear out. sometimes a hard shock can cause them to un-stick. being exposed to many temperature changes such as in a gas pack can enhance the problem.
            Maybe that's what happened, seems fine today...Maybe that whack did something to it...

Comment

you probably need a new valve. also check for corrosion of the low voltage wiring terminals.
              ~~

Comment

maybe I am just a worry wort, here,
                and most likely the whack did knock some thing loose and got it working again, and yes it had stuck in the apparently the off position, but what happens if it sticks in the on position? it is one thing if you have something sticking and a whack will make it work, but gas has it own set of dangers,

it is not like the electric fuel pump on my combine, where it is an inconvenience, or the old motor on the lath that needed a whack to kick out of start windings,
                there are places that I would say whacking is permissible stop gap method to get things going, but I am not sure gas vales fail into that area,

but most of time it is a indication that the item in question needs replaced or serviced, in some way,

my two cents
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yeah today I have nothing, pilot light won't even ignite...Guess it's not getting any gas now...I'll check the wire connections today...Thanks

Comment

God I love doing this > CALL A PRO(waiting to get a flogging again)

Seriously it could be a couple of things taht may or may not be repairable. How old is the unit and what condition is it in. Is it time to update?? I know down here we pay somewhere around $200 - $250 + Tax for a gas valve. Generally not a repairable item. You may not have the bucks to replace but look at where you are going to spend on a suck and see basis.

Comment

that was already suggested above
                      ~~

Comment

Nothing today either, maybe that ole Rheem seen better dayz...A/C still works great though...I wonder if I can hook one of those vent less heaters up, I have one that I was gonna put in the garage..Any suggestions with those??

Comment

The ventless heater:

- is probably not designed to be used as a primary source of heat
                          - is probably not big enough to heat the same area as the old heater
                          - produces large amounts of water vapor
                          - produces large amounts of soot
                          - will probably cost more to install than having a qualified professional fix your existing heater
                          ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                            The ventless heater:

- is probably not designed to be used as a primary source of heat
                            - is probably not big enough to heat the same area as the old heater
                            - produces large amounts of water vapor
                            - produces large amounts of soot
                            - will probably cost more to install than having a qualified professional fix your existing heater
                            How would it cost more, a gas line is pretty cheap...Gas valve would cost what, 100 bucks or more??

Comment

Working...
                            X