Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating Costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heating Costs

    If all energy sources converted to BTU's had equal costs, what would be the best way to heat?

  • #2
    Re: Heating Costs

    Approximate Heating Value of Common Fuels

    Natural Gas 1,030 Btu/cu ft 100,000 Btu/therm
    Propane 2,500 Btu/cu ft 92,500 Btu/gal
    Methane 1,000 Btu/cu ft
    Landfill gas 500 Btu/cu ft
    Butane 3,200 Btu/cu ft 130,000 Btu/gal
    Methanol 57,000 Btu/gal
    Ethanol 76,000 Btu/gal

    Fuel Oil
    Kerosene 135,000 Btu/gal
    #2 138,500 Btu/gal
    #4 145,000 Btu/gal
    #6 153,000 Btu/gal

    Waste oil 125,000 Btu/gal
    Biodiesel – Waste vegetable oil 120,000 Btu/gal
    Gasoline 125,000 Btu/gal

    Wood
    Softwood 2-3,000 lb/cord 10–15,000,000 Btu/cord
    Hardwood 4-5,000 lb/cord 18–24,000,000 Btu/cord
    Sawdust – green 10-13 lb/cu ft 8-10,000,000 Btu/ton
    Sawdust – kiln dry 8-10 lb/cu ft 14-18,000,000 Btu/ton
    Chips – 45% moisture 10-30 lb/cu ft 7,600,000 Btu/ton
    Hogged 10-30 lb/cu ft 16-20,000,000 Btu/ton
    Bark 10-20 lb/cu ft 9-10,500,000 Btu/ton
    Wood pellets – 10% moisture 40-50 lb/cu ft 16,000,000 Btu/ton

    Hard Coal (anthracite) 13,000 Btu/lb 26,000,000 Btu/ton
    Soft Coal (bituminous) 12,000 Btu/lb 24,000,000 Btu/ton
    Rubber – pelletized 16,000 Btu/lb 32-34,000,000 Btu/ton
    Plastic 18-20,000 Btu/lb
    Corn – shelled 7,800-8,500 Btu/lb 15-17,000,000 Btu/ton
    cobs 8,000-8,300 Btu/lb 16-17,000,000 Btu/ton
    Electricity 3412 Btu/kilowatt hour
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 12-01-2012, 05:46 PM.
    ~~

    ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Heating Costs

      Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
      If all energy sources converted to BTU's had equal costs, what would be the best way to heat?
      If it was equal cost per BTU, (I think that is what your saying), what ever system was the most efficient and ever was easiest,

      I would think electricity would be the most efficient and easiest, if the cost of BTU was equal
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Heating Costs

        I use wood and the most i used in one day was about 10 pieces and the temp is about 20* at night and 40* day time .
        I got 2 cord of wood for $400 this year because i just moved up here .Next year it will cost what ever the gas is for my chain saw because i have lots of trees to cut down .
        I dont need to go to the gym because i will be splitting the wood by hand so that saves me money 2 ways
        The house stays at 72* and drops to 65* at night and there is still hot coals when i get up in the morning
        We have a very well insulated house
        Charlie

        My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


        http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

        new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Heating Costs

          Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          I use wood and the most i used in one day was about 10 pieces and the temp is about 20* at night and 40* day time .
          I got 2 cord of wood for $400 this year because i just moved up here .Next year it will cost what ever the gas is for my chain saw because i have lots of trees to cut down .
          I dont need to go to the gym because i will be splitting the wood by hand so that saves me money 2 ways
          The house stays at 72* and drops to 65* at night and there is still hot coals when i get up in the morning
          We have a very well insulated house
          i use 3 cord a year, myself. the differences being that my wood comes free...well, almost free. i barter trade services with my family for wood. most of the time the house is between 75 and 85 degrees. it falls to 69 at night. usage is about 2 five gallon buckets worth of wood a day.
          ~~

          ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Heating Costs

            With the heating costs of any septic drain cleaning , Garbage Disposals a $250.00 value !

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Heating Costs

              Originally posted by Ricky Ponting View Post
              With the heating costs of any septic drain cleaning , Garbage Disposals a $250.00 value !
              SPAM with no links...hahahahaaa
              ~~

              ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

              Comment

              Working...
              X