House hygrometer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House hygrometer

Anyone use a hygrometer in their home? If so, which one do you have/ like?

The reason I ask is, I'm gonna buy and install a whole house humidifier, and I want to monitor the humidity levels before and while I have a humidifier.

Re: House hygrometer

i had one. it never worked.

best way is to monitor the windows. wet near corners = too much humidity. never go above 45% on your control. above 50% allows easy mildew and mold growth.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I was always told that adding plants inside your home was a great way to get the humidity up in your home. Any truth to that claim.....within reason?
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I didn't know what a Hygrometer was. When I looked it up, I have seen those everywhere. I always called it a humidity meter. Thanks for the Education, I feel smarter now.
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
          I didn't know what a Hygrometer was. When I looked it up, I have seen those everywhere. I always called it a humidity meter. Thanks for the Education, I feel smarter now.
          To be honest with you, I didn't know what a hygrometer was either until I started smoking cigars 5 years ago. With cigars, you constantly have to watch your humidity levels in a humidor.

Comment

You really do not need a scientific mechanical hygrometer!

Go to E-bay, amazon.com, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Radio shack, etc.
            They all have temperature/humidity gauges. Some analog some digital.

I have a Davis Vantage Vue wireless weather station here..but I monitor the dew point here

Us humans typically prefer humidity around 30-40% Right now here in Arizona in my home it's 25%
            ad comfortable but a bit dry.
            Actually in the summer we can experience a humidity at 8%

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              You really do not need a scientific mechanical hygrometer!

Go to E-bay, amazon.com, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Radio shack, etc.
              They all have temperature/humidity gauges. Some analog some digital.

I have a Davis Vantage Vue wireless weather station here..but I monitor the dew point here

Us humans typically prefer humidity around 30-40% Right now here in Arizona in my home it's 25%
              ad comfortable but a bit dry.
              Actually in the summer we can experience a humidity at 8%

Cactus Man
              I thought about getting a weather station, but lot's of reviews say they are unreliable when it comes to humidity.

Comment

Why don't you just buy a controller that integrates humidity levels with the system. I bought and installed a while house humidifier about 10 years ago and it is all controlled by a Honeywell controller. You simply set the desired humidity level on the controller and the system will run until the desired humidity is reached. That controller also allow you to install a outside temp sensor from which it can compute the dewpoint and adjust the humidity and prevent condensation on the windows.

To be honest I have not used the system in years - changing the filter like object and routine cleaning on the pipes in and out was more hassle than I could be bothered with.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  Why don't you just buy a controller that integrates humidity levels with the system. I bought and installed a while house humidifier about 10 years ago and it is all controlled by a Honeywell controller. You simply set the desired humidity level on the controller and the system will run until the desired humidity is reached. That controller also allow you to install a outside temp sensor from which it can compute the dewpoint and adjust the humidity and prevent condensation on the windows.

To be honest I have not used the system in years - changing the filter like object and routine cleaning on the pipes in and out was more hassle than I could be bothered with.
                  I might go with the nest, as I "think" it monitors humidity, but its very vague.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I might go with the nest, as I "think" it monitors humidity, but its very vague.
                    I'm not familiar with the nest - I don't think it was available when I installed my system. When I was looking for a system the two types I saw were a stand alone controller (which looked like an analog controller with a dial type setting) on which you set the humidity. The other type (which is what I ended up installing) was an integrated climate control system which in addition to running the humidifier also ran the furnace and a/c - there is also a circulation option which can either cycle or continuously run the fan only etc.

It's nice to have it all integrated but I recall having to do a fair bit of rewiring of the control system. Of course not to forget the plumbing for the water supply and drain.
                    Last edited by blue_can; 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X