X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of air duct inside a warehouse

What should be the approximate height of a supply air duct inside a warehouse whose side walls are 6 meters high and racks for storing goods would be 5 meters high. I am more interested in knowing the height if air diffuser grille from FFL is this warehouse. Thanks

Re: Height of air duct inside a warehouse

I am no expert here, but it seems to me that keeping it up high enough so it is not taken out by a fork lift, would be the proper height,

now I am not figuring out what is FFL stands for?

FFL Fixed Floor Level (architecture/building) ?
    FFL - What does FFL stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by the Free Online Dictionary.
    Acronym Definition
    FFL Federal Firearms License
    FFL Fantasy Football League
    FFL Food For Life (vegan/vegetarian food relief organization)
    FFL Federal Firearms Licensees
    FFL Feminists for Life of America (Alexandria, VA)
    FFL French Foreign Legion
    FFL Fédération Française de Lutte (French: French Wrestling Federation)
    FFL Finished Floor Level (architectural notation)
    FFL Friend for Life
    FFL Final Fantasy Legend (video game)
    FFL Light Frigate
    FFL Florida Forensic League
    FFL Flexible Fiberoptic Laryngoscopy
    FFL Fuel Fabrication Laboratory
    FFL Full Frontal Lobotomy (band)
    FFL Foo for Life
    FFL Frech Foreign Legion
    FFL Freshly Fallen Leaves (soil science)
    FFL Failed Fuel Location
    FFL Friday Fun Lunch
    FFL Forward of Friendly Lines (US Army)
    FFL Fixed Floor Level (architecture/building)
    FFL Fat Frank Lampard (football)
    FFL Flat Fluorescent Lamp
    FfL Films for Learning
    Last edited by BHD; 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

FFL - Finished Floor Level
      I am in search of more elaborative reply in the light of prevailing codes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasni View Post
        What should be the approximate height of a supply air duct inside a warehouse whose side walls are 6 meters high and racks for storing goods would be 5 meters high. I am more interested in knowing the height if air diffuser grille from FFL is this warehouse. Thanks
        I don't know where Ksa is so can't really help you out but generally speaking this sounds like something that the A/E should be figuring out on his own. The minimum height that the diffusers can be located without interfering with operations within the space that it was designed for is not dictated by any code that I know of. Diffuser height will affect air distribution patterns and velocity it would seem to me.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

WE all ways checked ho high the fork lifts went a went higher then that
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Google indicates Ksa is Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

as a mechanical engineer, shouldn't this be part of your area of expertise? i mean, shouldn't you already have the tools someplace to give you this reference?

from Wiki:

Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools.[1] It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.
              The engineering field requires an understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity. Mechanical engineers use these core principles along with tools like computer-aided engineering and product lifecycle management to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices, and others.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                as a mechanical engineer, shouldn't this be part of your area of expertise? i mean, shouldn't you already have the tools someplace to give you this reference?

from Wiki:

Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools.[1] It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.
                The engineering field requires an understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity. Mechanical engineers use these core principles along with tools like computer-aided engineering and product lifecycle management to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices, and others.
                I'm not clear if the OP is someone in the field related to the question being asked but in general engineering is a vast subject and even within a field such as mechanical engineering there are people who specialize in one thing and may not have much knowledge of another. Here is a simple example - an electrical engineer who designs high power motors is highly unlikely to know rf theory and how to design antennas for satellite equipment.

Comment

Is this a situation where the Engineer pipes up and suggests consulting a Professional Engineer to solve the Engineering problem

Comment

Cleanmen2-couldn't get your poit, you mean question I asked is not compatible with the calibre of professionals appearing here

Comment

i think he was trying to be amusing.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Hasni View Post
                        Cleanmen2-couldn't get your poit, you mean question I asked is not compatible with the calibre of professionals appearing here
                        Its more likely that the caliber of the person asking for help is not up to professional standards.

I guess we all look at thinks differently, but I think in general here in the US of A we expect someone to know something about their trade (or that slice of their trade or profession) for which they are being paid to do work. A student or apprentice is different, they are expected to not know much about their craft in the beginning and expected to have many questions for which they deserve intelligent answers from those they are working for. That's all part of their learning process on the job and in the classroom.

But generally speaking, by the time you graduate from college with an engineering degree or become a Journeyman, you are expected to know enough to do most of commonplace parts of your trade well.

As with engineering the pipe trades have highly specialized areas that some will never get exposed to and others will spend their whole career working in and never plunge one toilet or install one AC unit. I don't use those examples to diminish their importance they are just two more common activities in the trade than say performing x-ray welds on high pressure steam lines or assembling those booster rockets for the space shuttle (yeah, there were pipefitters working on those things believe it or not). That does not make them incompetent and this is what blue can is saying I think.

However, I have to differ with him in this case and say if you are here asking questions which would be better but to your peers or in doing some research for yourself instead of relying on strangers on the Internet who you have no idea what the skill or knowledge level is then you are swimming in uncharted waters and better head back to the dock before you drown or get someone killed.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I do not know what the code book says here, but I would guess it has more to do with clearance than some height off the floor,

Code or no code, as I said before and I think it is a NO brainier, your duct work will have to clear the machine traffic (forklift) or that is my guess as you have 5 meter tall shelving, or about 15 foot tall, you only have about 3 foot (meter) of clearance and not even that if the top shelf is loaded up 3 feet, with product,

IF the Code would say 3 meters it will soon be 15 meters as it will be tore off by the forklift,

and I really doubt if the codes in your country are the same as here, and would have more to deal with air exchange than duct height,

and I see you got the same answer in two other forums, on the fork lift clearance,

I posted a few pictures of what is called a box store (wear house store), and in this type of store they use some small lifts but most product is less than 2 meters off the floor, so it is self serve, and you can see the ventilation is up in the roofs structure, probably 5 to 6 meters off the floor level,
                          (if there is a code these buildings would have been built to code) If there is a drop on the duct it may be at the walk in entrances,

the last one is a wear house lumber yard, you can see the venting system in the picture and how it is tucked in the roof supports,

Pictures from Two Walmart supermarkets opening in O.C. | stores, walmart, store - Life - The Orange County Register

Wal-Mart Behind The Scenes: An Employee Perspective | Glassdoor Blog

TIFTON GEORGIA Tift College Attorney Restaurant Bank Hospital Hotel Church School Fire Dept.Store: LOWE'S TIFTON GEORGIA US. Hwy.82, Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse Store,Lumber Hardware Building Materials
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BHD; 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Min 12" above loading Dock concrete code Ref. # EIEIOHOHO
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                            X