humidifier install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humidifier install

i have a couple questions. i recently did an install of a system and humidifier. the one i took out seems to be in pretty good shape and i am pretty sure it was working. i took all the parts i thought i needed. it seems to be a powered unit but i neglected to grab or, didn't notice one because it wasn't there, a transformer.

if i wanted to test the unit couldn't i attach a piece of 2-wire from the r and w heat connections on my furnace's board to the respective red and white wires coming out of the humidifier? then make a call for heat from the thermostat. the humidifier is said to be 24 volts. if it works i can then put the humidistat on the line between the W terminal and the white wire going to the humidifier.

the other question i have is about the placement. i have space on the return for the unit. the feed has a very short transition on top of the coil and then the main duct goes straight back so that the place i can attach the bypass would be what is essentially the end cap of the main trunk. i know that might be bad. i might be able to cut it in on top though.

Re: humidifier install

Originally posted by hood4u View Post
    i have a couple questions. i recently did an install of a system and humidifier. the one i took out seems to be in pretty good shape and i am pretty sure it was working. i took all the parts i thought i needed. it seems to be a powered unit but i neglected to grab or, didn't notice one because it wasn't there, a transformer.

if i wanted to test the unit couldn't i attach a piece of 2-wire from the r and w heat connections on my furnace's board to the respective red and white wires coming out of the humidifier? then make a call for heat from the thermostat. the humidifier is said to be 24 volts. if it works i can then put the humidistat on the line between the W terminal and the white wire going to the humidifier.

the other question i have is about the placement. i have space on the return for the unit. the feed has a very short transition on top of the coil and then the main duct goes straight back so that the place i can attach the bypass would be what is essentially the end cap of the main trunk. i know that might be bad. i might be able to cut it in on top though.

Assuming you have a true bypass humidifier - one that has 6" duct that attaches to the humidifier and the other end to the duct system; and only a 24 volt driven solenoid (there is no additional 120 volt power cord anywhere) - then installation is simple. The red wire going to the humidifier gets connected to the W terminal in the furnace and passes through the solenoid. The other solenoid wire ties to one lug of the humidistat, The white wire ties to the other humidistat lug and runs back to the C terminal in the furnace.

A simple test needs a wire tied from red to R, connected to one end of the solenoid. Tie white to C and connect to the other end of the solenoid. Power on the furnace and the solenoid should open.

Do not tie to the end cap of the main duct. You may tie to the plenum or any other part of the main trunk. It works best closest to the plenum. There are takeoffs made to adapt square to round duct and these may be what you need to fit the small transition space. Tying to the end cap prohibits static pressure build up in the trunk. Static pressure is what pushes air through the trunk and supply runs, not the fan. The fan creates static pressure. Reduced static pressure prohibits air flow into the living space.

P.S. Saddle valves for water supply are no longer allowed by code.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

it is a true bypass with no 120v plug on the humidifier itself. the only connection on the humidifier is to the motor for the humidifier wheel which consists of two wires coming from the motor housing. i am guessing there is a solenoid insode or, do you mean that there should be an external solenoid separate from the humidifier itself?

Comment

ohhhh you have one of the those ancient technology wheel things. they have a float inside that that fills the base pan and a 24 volt motor that turns the wheel. the wheel tends to grow bacteria and molds which affect the health of the household. my description still holds true, the only difference is you are driving the motor versus a solenoid.

the bypass humidifiers im used to are the april aire water panel type.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
        X