X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace vibration.

I have a Bryant 340MavAV high efficiency furnace and over the past few years there has been this vibration. Lately it's becoming worse. Most noticble on start up but once the main blowing cuts in, it's not even noticeable.

I have a feeling it is the inducer motor or assembly.

When I look at the inducer motor there is a visible vibration, it's strong enough to rattle the pressure valve beside it as well. I've tried spinning the motor by hand when the furnace has stopped to see if I can feel play or roughness in the motor bearings but over all it feels pretty smooth. It does have some in and out play but it appears this play is normal. I also can't get the inducer blades to scrape the inside housing even when I flex the motor side to side on the rubber grommets. The rubber grommets don't seem as tight as I'd like them to be especially the top grommet.

Does anyone know of a website where I can order parts online. I've checked ebay but was hoping for alternatives. An inducer assembly locally acquired is $600, ebay $300 and a few other sites $200 to $500.

Does anyone know if these parts should be replaced together or can I just pick up an inducer motor? Is the inducer blades supported by the inducer motor shaft or does it ride on it's own bearing/shaft? I'm thinking it fits on the end of the inducer motor shaft like a house fan?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Re: Furnace vibration.

Your inducer motor is one part. Have you pulled it off and looked inside of it. There might be something inside of it. To get a replacement part any HVAC should be able to help you out and the cost should be under $150.

Comment

Bryant/Carrier/ICP usually only sell to certified authorized contractors. Their inducer exhausters were well known to have imbalances in the blower wheels (1st generation) and then poorly built motors (2nd generation). Both caused the noise and vibration. Once they switched back to a higher quality motor manufacturer many of the problems vanished. The cast plastic impeller is pressed onto the motor shaft in some models, in others the plastic is cast around a metal hub on the shaft. Either way, they will not disassemble and an entire new assembly is required. Expect the motor and installation to cost well beyond $150. If you do the install yourself make sure the vent tube for the trap does not get pinched between the housing and collector box. Seal the triangular collector box with high temp hvac silicone. Don't forget to transfer the inducer port plug from the old part to the new one.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

true story,

SIL had a vibration in his cars heater motor, and it really thumped, and shook, so the other day he took the fan out and found a ground squirrel inside the fan cage, so I guess if you have a squirrel cage fan it is only right it cages a real squirrel but they do vibrate when you keep you squirrel in the fan, it is best to remove them, as my SIL found out,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I had to LOL at your story. One never forgets the *bad* ones. I had a 'wet' squirrel in one of those exhausters, if you know what i mean. Complete with little squiggly white worms and little beetles... Even with a respirator and high pressure hose I could still smell the thing. It haunts me to this day...
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
          X