Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodman Furnace Blower making excessive noise....

I have a 1995 manufactured Goodman GMPN gas furnace to which I subsequently added an A/C unit.

My problem is that when the blower fan comes on it makes a racket. The blower blade spins with no noise when manually turned. The sound is tinny as if it is resonating with the sheet metal in the chamber where the return air enters.

I thought of replacing the blower -- about $200 for a 3/4 hp 3 speed motor -- but was wondering if there is any other cause for this noise problem and how can I verify that it is a blower problem??

Thanks.

harry

Re: Goodman Furnace Blower making excessive noise....

Hi Harry, welcome to the forum.

It could be the blower motor. As the bearings wear out they will grind when a load is put on them. It could be loose sheet metal in the furnace or ductwork, too. If the filter or AC coil is plugged with debris, air squishing through any available hole will also make the same sort of noise.

When did this noise start? Was it soon after the AC was installed? Posting pictures of your furnace would help some in the diagnosis.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Plumber Punky: Thanks a bunch. I took out the 1/2 hp GE blower motor and found the shaft had about 1/4 " of play along the axis of the shaft. So I bought a new motor for #130 from Grainger and will install it tomorrow.
      The noise started some years ago and became more noticeable over time until I stopped using the furnace and resorted to local space heating with Rinnai space heaters...

I will know tomorrow.

harry

Comment

keep us posted

make sure to regularly change the filter. it will help prolong the life of the new motor.

rinnai makes a durable and economical space heater. the older units are just as stylish as the new ones. they may not be the least expensive but you really cant go wrong with a rinnai space heater.
        ~~

Comment

Well Punky. Guess what. I replaced the motor with a new one and have the exact same noise that appears to come from the housing/air handler.

Is there any way to determine the source of this vibration/noise?

Do I need to recheck all the sheet metal screws holding the air handler together?

harry

Comment

Vibration is almost always the cause of of excessive noise. That could be coming from the motor, from dust build-up on the blades, or from loosened mountings on the vents. Lubrication helps some, but so will tightening everything down. Then again, 1995 is getting up there in age.

Comment

Originally posted by hdavid View Post
              Well Punky. Guess what. I replaced the motor with a new one and have the exact same noise that appears to come from the housing/air handler.

Is there any way to determine the source of this vibration/noise?

Do I need to recheck all the sheet metal screws holding the air handler together?

harry
              Yikes! This post didnt show up as "new" in my list. sorry for the late reply.

Yes, check all areas that might be loose. But the first item I would check would be the squirrel cage fan. Remove the blower unit and run it outside the air handler. If it is the problem you should be able to feel it vibrate oddly. This vibration can set up harmonics which cause other parts to vibrate.
              ~~

Comment

I had a similar problem with a small Goodman at an apartment. It would make a rumbling noise, then grind a little, then rumble. After some diagnosis, it turned out the two screws holding the blower motor housing into the unit were a little loose and the whole assembly was moving around slightly, and allowed the slide ways to enlarge. I took out the motor, hammered down the two slide runners a bit and put in larger screws to hold it tight, no more noise.

Comment

It depends on what about the furnace unit is making the noise.
                  Typically it is the fan motor, or associated moving parts.
                  Sometimes it is the housing vibrating from the spinning of the blower fan. It may be the plenum or metal (or other) box that the air blows through to get to the ductwork.
                  Lets look at all reasons it can make noise and eliminate things
                  Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Comment

Working...
                  X