Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Air-Conditioning-Tips

Simple Cooling Tips

Remember to turn off your cooling system when mowing the grass. Cut grass and airborne particles can blow into to the unit and cause it to work harder.

Keep your unit clear from debris and prune back any shrubs or leaves that will again make your unit work harder. Make sure the outdoor unit is free from clutter and has adequate airflow.

Raise your thermostat a few degrees, 2 or 3 degrees could save several hard earned dollars.

Use insulated curtains or drapes when not home, which will slow down your cool air escaping through the windows. As well as slow down the amount of natural heat from the sun light entering your home.

Though basic, it still surprises me how many homes I visit and the Cooling system will be on with doors and or windows open at the same time. Each time a door opens your cold air leaves and allows hot air in. Monitor your doors and windows to eliminate any wasted energy loss.

Keep doors closed to smaller rooms that you’re not using. Cooling smaller areas will result in lower cooling bills.

When cooking, make sure to turn on your exhuast fan and even crack a kitchen window to allow the oven and range heat to leave quickly. This will control the cooking heat you add in to your cool room climate. Thus saving extra cooling costs you could incure.Just like Mom use to yell, Shut that door! Or go to the mall if you want AC or put on a wet t-shirt (with the curtains closed). There are many ways to lower your energy costs and lighten our carbon footprint, it all starts with paying attention to it.
    Crystal Blue Plumbing & AC Repair Services at Lincoln

Re: Simple Air-Conditioning-Tips

Originally posted by Davidmbr View Post

Raise your thermostat a few degrees, 2 or 3 degrees could save several hard earned dollars.

This one I've never understood. It's usually used by the energy saving tree-huggers. People are comfortable at the temperature they set. Setting it up a few degrees is asking them to be uncomfortable. If they can afford that setting and pay their bill on time there's no reason to change.

Keep doors closed to smaller rooms that you’re not using. Cooling smaller areas will result in lower cooling bills.

This is an all around bad idea. Do not close doors or registers. Air conditioning (and heating) is designed for a certain amount of air flow. Restricting that air flow can cause frozen coils and failure of HVAC parts. The system is designed to have a certain structure of flow through the house. Disrupting that flow can cause other parts of the house to not cool correctly. Also, allowing other rooms with hot, humid air next to rooms with cool air can cause condensation in the rooms with the humid air. This condensation leads to mold and mildew growth.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

one more is that many do not understand, is that setting the thermostat colder does not cool any faster, or better,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        one more is that many do not understand, is that setting the thermostat colder does not cool any faster, or better,
        made me chuckle a little... i always ask people why they turn it down to 50 and they reply just as you said - 'it cools faster'. So I ask if they turn it up to 90 in the winter to heat it faster, they look at me like im crazy. i usually just shake my head and walk away,
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Copy and paste tips - a simple search shows the same "tips" on multiple websites.

I'm sure the purpose of the OP was to drop the link of his company.

Comment

Working...
          X