X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condenser Coil Pressure

I'm looking to make a air line cooler for my 5HP air compressor, And a local electrical/appliance surplus store near me has several (new old stock) condenser coils from discontinued equipment.

What type of pressure will a standard air conditioner or refrigeration condenser coil handle? Would a standard refrigeration or AC condenser coil be good enough to handle 150 psi from the compressor?

The surplus store has several types on hand, But the one I think will be the easiest to convert to flare or pipe fittings is this one (pic's) I realize this coil would be a lot larger than I need to cool the out-put air of a 5HP compressor, But the price is good if it will work!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	a5b8da6eb1530d43ada9c78626174b4f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	17404

Name:	a3f76815d849d491615d2c949b2c3604.jpg
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	17403

Name:	741bca2ef40eff00dcd1f9f653bb12ce.jpg
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	17402

Doug

Re: Condenser Coil Pressure

Most coils have ratings of 450 psi while in operation. Max pressure I've seen on a standard residential AC unit using r-410 was a little over 800 psi. It was a bad install and very dirty. I doubt it would have run long.

Remember that cooling the air will cause water to condense out of it. Make provisions to drain the water from the cooled air someplace.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      Most coils have ratings of 450 psi while in operation.
      Thanks! then I should be good with 150~160 PSI.

Remember that cooling the air will cause water to condense out of it. Make provisions to drain the water from the cooled air someplace.
      The cooler will be placed in-between the compressor & the air storage tank. I'm planning to add a automatic drain valve to the end of the line "before" it enters the storage tank.

Thanks Doug

Comment

You will be fine, pressure-wise. Beware also that some coils will have an oil residue that may not be compatible with your tools or tank. A flush with acetone and compressed air may be a good thing to do before the install.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

A flush with acetone and compressed air may be a good thing to do before the install.
          Thanks! I probably would not have thought about that.

Doug

Comment

Working...
          X