Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

    Heil 3 ton unit approximately 16 years old. Fan was operating but the compressor was not engaged. I removed the electrical cover and saw the common lead of the capacitor melted off and the capacitor leaked. The common wire was burned about the last inch before it connected to the terminal

    Here is the data I obtained:
    · Compressor leads were not shorted to ground – all had infinite resistance.
    · Compressor common to start: 3.5Ω
    · Compressor common to run: 1.2Ω
    · Compressor start to run: 4.25Ω
    · The compressor was warm to the touch but the fan was running for a good length of time and there was undoubtedly power to the start terminal of the compressor.
    · It looked like there was some oil leakage by the base of the compressor – not a pool but just some light coating that attracted some dirt. It may not be oil – I thought the units were totally sealed.

    From what I can read on the capacitor, it is 440V but the capacitance readings were not legible. The start portion of the capacitor measured 38.21 mfd. and the fan portion of the capacitor measured 3 mfd.

    The unit is a Heil and the model/serial number is below:
    · Model no.: CA5536VKD1
    · Serial no.: L9641 26669

    Is is common for the capacitor to fail in this manner with age/use? Would it be a good gamble to replace the capacitor and see if that corrects the problem?

  • #2
    Re: Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

    Originally posted by khe View Post
    Heil 3 ton unit approximately 16 years old. Fan was operating but the compressor was not engaged. I removed the electrical cover and saw the common lead of the capacitor melted off and the capacitor leaked. The common wire was burned about the last inch before it connected to the terminal

    Here is the data I obtained:
    · Compressor leads were not shorted to ground – all had infinite resistance.
    · Compressor common to start: 3.5Ω
    · Compressor common to run: 1.2Ω
    · Compressor start to run: 4.25Ω
    · The compressor was warm to the touch but the fan was running for a good length of time and there was undoubtedly power to the start terminal of the compressor.
    · It looked like there was some oil leakage by the base of the compressor – not a pool but just some light coating that attracted some dirt. It may not be oil – I thought the units were totally sealed.

    From what I can read on the capacitor, it is 440V but the capacitance readings were not legible. The start portion of the capacitor measured 38.21 mfd. and the fan portion of the capacitor measured 3 mfd.

    The unit is a Heil and the model/serial number is below:
    · Model no.: CA5536VKD1
    · Serial no.: L9641 26669

    Is is common for the capacitor to fail in this manner with age/use? Would it be a good gamble to replace the capacitor and see if that corrects the problem?
    It is very common for the capacitor to fail with age. As the compressor ages and the unit becomes more dirty it puts a bigger load on it as well. Frequent blowing of the capacitor may mean a failing compressor. Replacing the capacitor is no big deal BUT you need to verify the correct replacement for your system. Too small of a cap will hurt the compressor or it may not start at all. Every leaking capacitor needs replacement.

    The compressor may take a day or two to cool off if it has severely overheated.

    An internet search shows your capacitor is a dual tap 40/3.

    Replacement parts list -----> http://icpindexing.toddsit.com/docum...2104110202.pdf
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 05-21-2013, 09:15 AM.
    ~~

    ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

      Plumber Punky,

      Thank you for the information. The capacitor measured within the tolerance range even in the damaged state. Is there any significance to that? I would have thought it would have been way out of tolerance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

        Originally posted by khe View Post
        Plumber Punky,

        Thank you for the information. The capacitor measured within the tolerance range even in the damaged state. Is there any significance to that? I would have thought it would have been way out of tolerance.
        once they leak, they're junk. also, they may test ok even when damaged but when a load is put on them, they fail. check also for loose or burnt connections at the compressor itself. if the compressor plug is damaged or burnt (it's usually an orange or pinkish material where the compressor terminals exit the case) DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT play with anything. This is a safety and will blow out with excessive force and freezing freon, possibly with acids and phosgene gas. If it's burnt or bubbled the AC unit is shot.
        ~~

        ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

          It's fixed! I replaced the capacitor and the contactor (relay) and it is working again. The compressor did not make any unusual noises so I think the capacitor failed due to age.

          I wasn't looking forward to locating a new outside unit for a R-22 system.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

            Replacement parts are still made. Complete systems for residential use are not. Glad you have it all sorted out.
            ~~

            ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

              I am relieved that the capacitor is all that was wrong - I was not looking forward to shopping for a new outside unit or worse, an entire system. Currently, the outside temperature is 50° so I won't get a chance to put it to the test until the hot weather hits next week. It has been a wierd spring - heat one week, A/C the next and then heat again...

              When the A-coil developed a leak six years ago due to improper installation (A-coil was not sloped toward the drain and the condensate rotted the capillary tubes), it was difficult to find an A-coil that would fit in my existing furnace plenum.

              I found a "dry" unit online - the picture was the outside unit (condenser, compressor, housing, etc.). That is what I would have been looking to buy if the compressor was shot. I'm sure the entire system - lineset, A-coil, & outside unit is no longer available.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Heil 3 ton residential unit - fan operates, compressor does not engage

                Originally posted by khe View Post
                I am relieved that the capacitor is all that was wrong - I was not looking forward to shopping for a new outside unit or worse, an entire system. Currently, the outside temperature is 50° so I won't get a chance to put it to the test until the hot weather hits next week. It has been a wierd spring - heat one week, A/C the next and then heat again...
                The new r410 is much more efficient. Also, a heat pump would be of great benefit to you with the frequent weather you are having. A Lennox heat pump can provide heat efficiently down to about 10 degrees F.

                When the A-coil developed a leak six years ago due to improper installation (A-coil was not sloped toward the drain and the condensate rotted the capillary tubes),
                that also means that your furnace is not pitched correctly? (if you have a high efficiency furnace)

                it was difficult to find an A-coil that would fit in my existing furnace plenum.
                furnaces come in standard widths, as do coils. they have been made in standard sizes since the 1950's. any refrigeration company, or any reputable ac guy, can have access to a needed coil


                I found a "dry" unit online - the picture was the outside unit (condenser, compressor, housing, etc.). That is what I would have been looking to buy if the compressor was shot. I'm sure the entire system - lineset, A-coil, & outside unit is no longer available.
                All parts of any r-22 system can still be purchased. complete systems cannot be. even parts for old r-11/r-12 can be obtained.
                ~~

                ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

                Comment

                Working...
                X