X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood damaged furnace

I had a flood in my basement. I have a Goodman furnace and central air. Water came up over the blower motor, control board and transformer. Nothing else got wet above that lower compartment.

I ran an air mover and a dehumidifier for a week straight before I tested anything. All was bone dry at that point.

I tested power from the door switch and that was good. Power at the control board good. No power coming from control board to 24v transformer (at the xfmr terminal)

So I replaced the control board with a brand new one. Still have the same problem.

No power coming from the control board to the transformer.

What am I overlooking? I have a tech on call to look at it, but the company is backed up with all the other people in the city with the same flood damage. So I was told it was going to be a while "i'm on the list". But would sure like to get it working if I could, it's hot in here!

Thanks

Re: Flood damaged furnace

Does the control board not receive power from the 24v transformer, not supply power to the transformer? Maybe I've been out of the loop and new furnaces are different, but I thought the transformer is powered by 110v that then out puts 24v to the control board. The 110v on the control board is to control the fan motor and other internal components. Check voltage at your transformer, if its not putting out 24v, then check it to make sure its getting 110v and if so, then your transformer probably fried.

Comment

The transformer supplies 24 volt power to the board. In some furnaces, it receives 120 volts from the board from pass-thru terminals. You most probably need a new transformer. Normal transformer output voltage would be in the range of 24-28 volts.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

thanks for the answers

In my case, 120v goes to the control board first. There is a transformer feed wire (120v) and a neutral that comes from the control board and up to the transformer. From there, 24 v drops back down into the control board

I have good continuity at these wires. But when the power is switched on, there is no 120v going to the transformer.

I think I might pull the transformer and connect it to current and see if it works.

Appreciate the feedback!

Comment

You might pull the furnace and install a new one that is what you are supposed to do in flood cases !

CALL A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL AND NOT HANDY HACK SERVICES !
          Last edited by JERRYMAC; 07-19-2013, 12:37 PM.
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
            You might pull the furnace and install a new one that is what you are supposed to do in flood cases !

CALL A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL AND NOT HANDY HACK SERVICES !
            exactly!
            flood damage to a unit in many cases causes early failure of equipment due to water retention and oxidation/ corrosion.
            electronics are very susceptible to corrosion if not dried properly
            transformers will hold water within the shells and windings for a long time.
            in any event you should pull and completely replace the furnace
            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

yup. replace it. once flood damaged even if things work once dried, they are compromised and not safe or reliable to be kept in service.

Comment

Working...
              X