natural gas piping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: natural gas piping

Ah yes another good old "hire a pro" thread. Don't people get bored of this topic.

As far as "professional" forums it gets worse - I have seen one very well known plumbers only forum where if a non-plumber stops by to ask for advice the forum members actually give out dangerous and harmful solutions as a "lesson" to the non-plumber who was asking the question. Now how unprofessional is that - not to mention irresponsible. Not answering or telling them politely that this is the wrong site for them would be the thing to do.

Comment

Must be the A HOLE ZONE ! SMILE
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yeah, those forums are a lot more structured and uptight than this one. I, for one, prefer the Ridgid site.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

You know I sometimes ruffle feathers but hey, that's what makes the world go round. Speaking only for downunder and yes, we too have different rules between states, we see shockers. Point taken about wrong and dangerous information, that is so unprofessional. A polite comment as suggested goes without saying.

As far as the RIDGID forum goes, you guys ROCK.......

We don't have anything down here that comes anywhere near this forum. That's why we keep taunting Joe to stop ripping us off with the Rep tax and loosen up. He should be looking at bringing some of you guys down annually for a get together, AKA the Roundup down-under and we cold throw in a conference for the tax deduction.

Finally back to the topic, sometimes we feel it is better to try to suggest a pro. Thehardest thing is finding a real PRO. Then again this goes for nearly everything we do. In an ideal world everyone would be as conscientious as all of us here are and just "do their job as they are supposed to do it" and move forward.

Just my humble professional opinion but.................!!!!

Comment

I need to pull My 2 rear lower wisdom teeth ! Does anyone know a good dentel do it Yerself site ! Thanks in advance .
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I need to pull My 2 rear lower wisdom teeth ! Does anyone know a good dentel do it Yerself site ! Thanks in advance .
              If you wanted a root canal there is a DYI kit available from a dentist in Schaumburg IL
              g,
              mycroft.net/drb/info/restorative/rootcanal/html/kit/main.html

Comment

Hey Tool I bet Rick would lend you one of the special heads off the new Jetter which would cut them out quicker than a dentist and for less money too.................!!!!!!!heheheheehheehe

"Jack of all Trades and MASTER of NONE...............!!!!!!"

Comment

rule of thumb for sizing your gas line is%$$%$%$$%%% to the first tee then run a #$%##$%% to your second opening..1/2" to the fp
                  that of course is assuming that your house gas fixtures are a wh, heat unit, fp, simple..
                  I like it like that !
                  and, It's like that now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
                    If you wanted a root canal there is a DYI kit available from a dentist in Schaumburg IL
                    g,
                    mycroft.net/drb/info/restorative/rootcanal/html/kit/main.html
                    i just use a dremel and a pair of 420 channel locks
                    Everclear instead of novocaine
                    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post

For the roughly 100 feet of 3/4" pipe you have a capacity of 104,000 btu/hr. 50,000+32,000+75,000=157,000. So you are over capacity of the pipe by 53,000 btu.

A better option would be to run a dedicated line just after your earthquake shutoff valve which is probably just after your meter. Most residential low pressure meters where I am allow for about 300,000 btu/hr capacity. Thusly, you have the original line for the house, with no union underneath, and a dedicated 3/4" line to the garage, 175 feet long maximum, that can supply 77,000 btu/hr. The more feet you have less than 175 = more gas capacity.
                      100 feet 3/4" supplys about 80,000 BTU/hr not 104,000 BTU/hr. So he is way undersized
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
                        100 feet 3/4" supplys about 80,000 BTU/hr not 104,000 BTU/hr. So he is way undersized
                        Without knowing the static gas pressure this chart is a bit meaningless. That chart also states this is for 0.3" WC pressure drop. If he had a static pressure of say 7" WC and needed 5" WC at the appliance then this chart is very conservative.

Comment

That chart applies to the criteria listed in the top left corner of the chart. There are other charts in the NFGC.

Comment

That chart applies to the criteria listed in the top left corner of the chart. There are other charts in the NFGC.
                            I was simply pointing out that without the static (meter) pressure it is not easy to to say whether the line is undersized or not. I went back over the thread but it seems like the OP never came back with that information.

I have the gas code as well as the gas code handbook so I'm familiar with the contents. I personally prefer to use the formula to calculate gas pipe sizing and don't tend to use the tables although the tables are simpler to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post

For low pressure gas (less than 2 psi, .5" WC pressure drop, 1000 btu per cu ft)
                              you're using a .3" pressure drop. the chart is not the same.
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                              X