Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• natural gas piping

Hi,
    I have 3/4 pipe gas main. The main is 36' to the house and another13 1/2' to a wall heater (50,000 btu). The pipe continues to the back for a 32,000 btu water heater (additional 12'). I would like to run a pipe to the garage, 36' feet behind the house to install a 75,000 btu heater. Would it be ok to tee off the main just under the house and branch off with a 1' pipe to the garage? This way I would have 36' of 3/4 pipe and then 1"pipe to the garage, 61'. Is there any problem with increasing the pipe this way?
    Is it ok to install a union in the crawl space under the house in Southern Calif.
    Thanks

Re: natural gas piping

Increasing the pipe size afterwards will not help. You are always limited by the smallest pipe diameter. I don't know about unions in crawl spaces in CA. Plumber Rick would probably know.

For low pressure gas (less than 2 psi, .5" WC pressure drop, 1000 btu per cu ft):

For the roughly 100 feet of 3/4" pipe you have a capacity of 104,000 btu/hr. 50,000+32,000+75,000=157,000. So you are over capacity of the pipe by 53,000 btu.

A better option would be to run a dedicated line just after your earthquake shutoff valve which is probably just after your meter. Most residential low pressure meters where I am allow for about 300,000 btu/hr capacity. Thusly, you have the original line for the house, with no union underneath, and a dedicated 3/4" line to the garage, 175 feet long maximum, that can supply 77,000 btu/hr. The more feet you have less than 175 = more gas capacity.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

No unions under house.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

hiya mr. tool. nice to see you're still among the living
        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          hiya mr. tool. nice to see you're still among the living
          Thanks , just took a break
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tool where you been hiding? phoebe's almost driving.

haven't looked at my sizing tables, but a 3/4'' line is small in todays standard.

I would imagine your gas pressure after the meter is only 7'' of water column. very low compared to other parts of the country. so therefore the btu/ therms that can be supplied are minimal compared to other areas of the country.

sizing is based on demand and total footage from the meter to the most remote location.

sounds like your meter is a curb meter and you're responsible for the piping under ground to the house. basically it's the only pipe that will go bad is the underground. my suggestion is to see if the gas co. will move the meter to the house and if so, how much will they charge. the other option is to run a new underground main from the meter to the house. probably a job better for a licensed plumbing contractor. nothing wrong with saving some money. dig the ditch and have them come with you working as the grunt. they should be able to give you an hourly price and knock it off in a partial day once dug.

I would get a price from the gas co on moving the meter to the side of the house and a price from a contractor for running a new line. probably 1 1/4'' from the meter to the house.

no unions other than at the point of connection at the meter or exposed fixture.

where in so cal are you?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Gas should be left for the pros
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                Gas should be left for the pros
                Will don't say that too loud or youll wake up the Engineers who know better than you and me

Comment

Do not do this yourself. Gasfitting is not like plumbing, you cannot "fudge" it. Hire a licenced journeyman gasfitter and get it done right. The risks are not worth it. There are permits, inspections, etc. that will all have to occur for this process to be properly completed.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input.

Rick - You are correct, my meter is at the curb. I will check with the gas company. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                      Will don't say that too loud or youll wake up the Engineers who know better than you and me
                      Why, I do know more than them. Calculations won't get you a working system in reality. My dads an engineer, I know my fair share of engineers.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I fear getting flogged again for saying this but Gasfitting is something better left to the "pros". Piss around with water, get a cold and die of pneumonia, sewer, well you might get a dose of the clap. However, gasfitting goes bang or creates silent death called Carbon Monoxide which generally kills innocent people. So yes, some "PROS' do care about their trade for a reason.
                        Now I do concede, as I always have previously, there are many "PROS" that shouldn't be holding a License but that is an inherent flaw in all our systems. I wont expand on other occupations other than to say none of us are perfect........!!!!! Spend the bucks, get the gas done right the first time and sleep soundly and wake up in the morning and smell the roses.

Comment

... sewer, well you might get a dose of the clap.
                          Everyone knows there are better ways to get the clap

This is one of the areas where this site is problematic. There is not any 'no DIY' clause to prevent us from responding to non-pros. Look at the hvac-talk site, for example, where there is a 'no DIY advice allowed' rule. That site is full of information, but is horrible for homeowners, business owners, and even non-vetted pros. Either this site or the other can be bad for the non-pro. They may get PO'd from the other site, go do their job with no information, and die OR they can come here, get both sides with information, attempt their project and die. Personally, I'd rather arm them with both sides of their question. This is where this site excels.
                          ~~

Comment

Boom Boom................!!!!

Punky I understand your sentiments and hey, I cant say I am 100% in disagreement with you. Just 99.999999999999999999%

Down here everyone wants to be a Plumber because they all think we are like Plumber Rick with mega bucks and mega toys to boot. All goes to sh1t though when the smell sets in and they remember that theirs actually smells similar to everyone else. Seriously down here we are going through an absolute ****-fight to keep gas regulated. I know we are probably similar in our methods but.......!!!
                            Our regulators have always been over cautious and as such we have a pretty good track record. biggest thing is our mates Slugs and Grubs aka "the lawyers" have made it that everyone wants to sue everyone so that they get fatter and fatter and only their bank account grows. So herein lies the dilemma. If you sell your house you virtually have to ensure that it is all compliant otherwise the new owner can countersue for false statements or misrepresentations. Seriously best to use a pro and save the angst. Do you do your own brain surgery??????

Comment

Do you do your own brain surgery??????
                              I thought the medical debate was another thread? I think that any kind of procedure I can do myself, I will. However, I know what I am not qualified to do, and consult professionals for that. It's up to the anyone in any situation to do the same.

We must all remember that what is code or rule in one area is not the same in another area. We also don't know everyone's qualifications and background. I think it's our best interest to give both sides of the equation and let the roofing shingles (LOL) fall where they may. It's too easy for the knee jerk reaction "call a pro"; whose to say that they arent a retired pipe fitter and have questions regarding capacities or something they forgot?
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X