X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about installing programmable thermastats

I currently have a digital non programmable thermastat and I just bought a new Honeywell digital touchscreen programmable thermastat model RTH7600D. My question is regarding the wiring. My existing digital thermastat uses only 4 wires G,Y,W, and RC with a jumper to RH. It uses batteries so the blue C wire is not used. The new Honeywells allow me to either use batteries or to wire it up with the blue C wire. Is it better to use the batteries or wire it to receive power from the house? The new thermastat has an additional watch type battery to remember the settings during a power outage so I assume using the C wire is the way to go.

Thanks

Re: Question about installing programmable thermastats

It's only a personal preference. The function has no difference whether hard wired or battery. Batteries should last approx 2 years.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I always try to wire the common when I am able to. It allows the stat to always have power. A lot of calls for no heat or cooling stem from people forgetting about the batteries.
      DIRTFT

Comment

Yup, if you have a common wire you can use, it makes no sense not to wire it and power it off the furnace. Install batteries only for backup purposes.

Comment

There are very good reasons to NOT power it off the furnace. Some modern furnaces have communication problems caused by induced EMI when it is powered off the circuit board. Also, in the event of a brownout, some thermostats will lose date, time, and programming.
          ~~

Comment

Thanks guys. For now I just used the batteries. These thermostats have low battery warnings along with reminders for the air filter change. The temperature reading on the honeywell is more accurate than the old one so hopefully I won't freeze this year. My wife keeps it cold around 64 degrees. My old thermostat I found out was saying 64 but it was actually 62. The main reason I switched is one day we turned the ac on,set the temp to 77 and when we got home it was 60 in the house.

Comment

I'm a firm believer that thermostats shouldnt have numbers. They should have a gradient like the old automobile heaters had - cold, warm, hot - and maybe even some color. That way everyone can have the right setting for comfort and us professionals wouldnt need to answer questions about what degree setting the comfort zone is located and why the thermometer doesnt match up with the setting.
              ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                I'm a firm believer that thermostats shouldnt have numbers. They should have a gradient like the old automobile heaters had - cold, warm, hot - and maybe even some color. That way everyone can have the right setting for comfort and us professionals wouldnt need to answer questions about what degree setting the comfort zone is located and why the thermometer doesnt match up with the setting.
                This only works with men. Woman can not leave the thermastat on one setting. Its either full heat, max cool, or off. There is no inbetween.

I hated our old digital thermastats. You had to push on the the up or down button at least 5 times before you could adjust the temp 1 degree. Then the actual temp would read 1 or 2 degrees below your setting. We just set it to what we (I mean my wife) were comfortable at. We knew it was off and just dealt with it until the one day it left the AC running all day.

Comment

Working...
                X