X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning old boiler burner tubes , and copper coils

Well trying to nurse My old AO Smith Permaglass boiler one more season ! Model HW 109
    Can hear burners sputtering ! Will also wash down copper coils. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Cleaning old boiler burner tubes , and copper coils

Copper fin tube boilers are prone to plugging. There is no cleaning method for the coils other than to remove the debris from the top and bottom of the exchanger area itself. If they are plugged in between there is nothing you can do short of replacing the boiler. Water wash may help but the copper/corrosion wont dissolve. It WILL be a huge mess.

The burners can be removed. Sometimes the entire manifold needs to be taken out. Clean the gas orifices, too. Gas pressure is critical on these and needs to be set with a manometer.

One of the commonest arguments I hear for not replacing equipment is the 'one more year' discussion. In your case, once the exchanger plugs, it will start to roll out causing melted controls and wiring. The safety limits *should* shut it down but I've seen the limits fail. In this case, fire and CO poisoning are the result.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thank You . It is placed in the garage. May dissconect and power wash in driveway. Yes I'm crazy !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

X2 on what Punky said.

With a good power wash you can probably get another 4 or 5 years out of it. Be sure to remove or protect the controls.

Comment

Nice to have friends in Cyberworld ! Tanks Tool

Comment

Be warned...if you power wash and bend the fins...well, you're F'd...

I'd use a garden hose with an adjustable nozzle and maybe a metal clothes hanger to get between the fins. You will have to disassemble the entire case to get at it in this fashion though.

Let us know how it turns out. And take pics. You may turn into SALEStool...
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks, I will take Your advise. I appreciate You Pros keeping Me outa trouble !

Comment

a butter knife works top coil just takes time put a lite in bottom go at it

Comment

Great idea, Tanks Tool

Comment

Working...
                  X