X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing gas furnace for shop

Doing a little pre install research on what's required to install a gas furnace in my new 42x30garage/shop. Our township does ahear to standard building codes and maybe someone could offer some suggestions. Since the garage/shop will have auto's parked inside I guess I need a overhead mounted heating unit with about an 80,000btu rating. The line from my house to the garage is about 60 feet. What size of gas line do I need? Electric is burried in plastic conduit about 18" down. How deep should the gas line be and can it be in the same trench?

Thanks

In order to size the gasline, you need to know the available pressure, and the type of gas being used(LP/Natural). Gaslines need to have 12" of earth cover, can be laid in the same trench as electric, but must maintain 18" of separation between the two.

Comment

The best thing you can do is pull a permit and ask your local code inspector what he will allow in your area.I know what is code in mi. but your neck of the woods is probably different.Under no circumstance do you want a fur with the burner less than 18 in from the floor due to gasoline fumes.I too want to put heat in my pole barn and I am considering ceiling mounted tube heating such as you may see in some commercial bldgs.We have that in our service facility and it works very well.

Comment

Since posting and getting several estimates from HVAC installers I have several options. Ceiling units, outside intake for combustion, or mounting a min of 18" above floor. Since I will be replacing the furnace in my house this year( from 60% to 80% efficent upgrade) will move the old unit into the shop/garage!

Comment

I am also considering using natural gas in my shop (planning stages only).

Could anyone please be brand specific.

My shop is only 12'x20' and is 100' from my home.

I've considered a wood stove but as a hobbist I know there will be wintry weeks of infrequent use, but still want to maintain minimum temperature for freezibles.

Maybe a stove + electric?

As you can see I am all over the lot on this one.

Thanks

Comment

Woodchuck, don't want to steal your thread. Just looking for brand names to research. Sorry [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i'd simply use the woodburning stove in conjunction with a small space heater. just leave the electric heat on a very low setting, just enough to keep the shop from freezing.

Comment

Working...
              X