Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boiler professional licensing

Originally posted by plumber View Post
    recently a newer poster with no regard for his own safety or for the saftey of others posted about a boiler installation with an insane amount of pressures and installation anomolies. The numbers and missing items the poster quoted were beyond belief and unfortunatly posted in such a way to cause this plumber extreme concern for the saftey of everyone involved with the poster.

While boiler heat properly installed is very safe and the most comfortable available, it is dangerous if incompetently installed or maintained. The state of Illinois has no licensing requirements for the installers or maintainers of boiler systems. Some communities have inspection programs and certain institutions such as hospitals and nursing homes have state inspection plans but they allow for any idiot with a flashlight and inspection mirror to look at and work on them.

Does anyone here know if any other states have a licensing program for boiler installers or is this an overlooked yet critical area we need to work on. If someone has information of another States competent licensing program I would be very interested in downloading a full copy of the code and the laws involved. This is an area where I want no carverelli's in my State.

My personal thoughts are that a boiler professional should have at least 3 years experience as a plumber or a pipefitter and serve an additional 2 years as a boiler trade apprentice to be certified as a licensed boiler technician. I would also think it prudent that any boiler technician have at least 5 years in trade experience before being allowed to sell, install and maintain boiler systems.

Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

In the stae of maine you have to hold a App. License for up to two years before you can even ask for a journeymens......The details are all here hope this helps you ot some Plumber

http://maine.gov/pfr/professionallic...sRulesbook.pdf

Comment

3 yrs later?????????
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Opps haha i didnt even see that Sorry

Comment

Most states have regulation and licensing for commercial boiler work. residential is another thing altogether. many states have gas and oil burner licensing but do not address boilers or piping issues though the National Mechanical Code does and your state may very well adopt it. It's always been a bit of a grey area where piping is concerned. There are of course accepted practices and industry standards for piping but few actual codes requirements addressed. Things like relief valves, low water cutoffs, high limit and burner operating controlls are addressed in NFPA publications.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X