X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC Duct Replacement

I was up in the attic recently of my 25 y/o home & I noticed that some of the duct work is deteriorating. How big of a job is it to replace & are there newer & better products out there?

Thanks!

Would we be correct in assuming it was galvanized sheet metal duct work?
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

No, it's not galvanized metal, but the fiberboard w/ the silver exterior.

Comment

RoseRX,

The work is fairly simple if you don’t mind working in the attic and you stay on the joist. The new ducts you should use have the insulation wrapped around spring type flexible ductwork which is incased in a plastic sleeve. Assuming the wyes and boxes are sheet metal you can reuse them and just replace the ducts size for size. Be careful to properly support the new ductwork so it is not kinked.

Another issue to watch for is your old ductwork may contain Asbestos. If it does you will need to find an abatement company to remove the old ducts which may make duct replacement impractical cost wise.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, I have never heard of asbestos being used in fiberboard duct.

I think the fiberboard is a pain in the butt from a homeowners point of view. It sure is easy enough to install though. I remember replacing a few pieces when we installed new AC units and had to make up a new transition pieces. A couple simple tools and special cutters for making rabbits and miters, a razor knife, and a few rolls to metalized tape and you are in business

But for myself I would not want it in my house. The air breaks off small pieces of fiber that then float out the duct and into the air you breathe and it settles out on everything making a dusty mess. Can't be too good for your lungs either.

Comment

Bob,

We used two types of fiberboard ducts. The first was corregated like cardboard and the second was just board. At different times each contained Asbestos but in small amounts. Then to complicated matters we used an Aabeatos tape with wheat paste to seal the ducts. I don't believe either could hurt you in smaal amounts. I have choked from Asbestos dust more than once and I am still here. Still the fine for improper disposal of Asbestos is more than the cost of abatement.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
            X