X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper tubing - rigid ok?

I'm installing an ac condenser unit and was wondering if I could use rigid type L copper tubing for the suction line rather than the flexible I see everywhere else? I can't think of a reason why not. Is there some code thing that I'm not aware of?

AS FAR AS I KNOW FROM MY PLUMBING EXPERIENCE AT JOB SITES. THE SOFT COPPER TUBING COMES IN 60' LENGTHS AND THEREFORE YOU ELIMINATE MANY FITTINGS. 20' LENGTHS OF L COPPER TUBING, OR ACR TUBING IS USED ON COMMERCIAL TYPE INSTALLATIONS. TYPICALLY IT IS CAPPED AND SEALED FOR NO MOISTURE OR IMPURITIES TO GET INTO IT. REMEMBER THE JOINTS NEED TO BE BRAZED. THIS WILL GIVE THE TUBING A BURNT LOOK AND ALSO ANNEAL IT CAUSING POSSIBLE WARPING FROM A STRAIGHT LINE.

Comment

Type L or ACR would be fine to use !! I sell it everyday for that purpose. Most soft that i have seen or again sell everyday comes in 50ft lengths .vs the rigid in 20's so if your run is over 20' you would have to couple it which is just a potential leak that you may have to deal with, and this would be a pain if you finish the ceiling in a basement. Also one last thing if you make any 90's you should look into using all long turn ells, they dont seem to have a washout effect of the standard(short) ells.

Comment

Working...
      X