compressor noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressor noise

Have a 11 year old Goodman with the Copeland Scroll compressor. It is making a buzzing noise when running. Cools the house fine, had HVAC guy check it out last night, good pressure, no gauge bouncing, which he said would indicate valve problems. Pressues were good. Anyone have any further insight into this? Buzzing is louder when it first starts, but quiets a little when it runs. Buzzes through the house in the laundry room mostly. I believe the compressor has a lifetime warranty, I will check into this more today.

could be way overcharged or the metal case around the unit is resonating. try pressing lightly on the case to see if the buzz noise stops.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

We did all sorts of tests pushing on the casing, etc. The noise is definitely coming from the compressor interior. He had the gauges on it and it was almost 90 degrees, 74 inside, and he was running around 46 psi, which he said best case it would be 46-48. I was wondering if it might be low on lubricant, but he said the freon he lost when attaching the connector was oily, and it was good.

Comment

Its always oily, that ain't telling him anything and furthermore he shouldn't be losing any freon and furthermore furthermore, there's no such thing as freon LOL
        sigpic

Comment

46 psi on what? 90 degrees outdoor temperature? if 46 psi on the vapor line you may have a restriction or a major leak. Freon is the trade name for R-22. If you have R-22, then general the minimum operating pressure at any temperature needs to be above 62 psi on the vapor side, to prevent freezing of the indoor coil.

if you have oil someplace other than the service ports - along a brazed connection or somewhere in the coil - there is a leak. A residential system has more than enough oil or lubricant even if it had a major leak and blew the entire charge.

your "tech" doesnt know his butt from a hole in the ground. you need to find a new tech.

Goodman R-22 condensers are known to have copper bend failures. The break or hole may not be seen. They wear through at various points.

My advice - choose another HVAC company who doesnt install Goodman. Try a Lennox, Trane or Rheem/Ruud dealer.
          ~~

Comment

Yep sounds like you need to find a new tech . He reports 46 PSI and says it is fine? Is this the low side or high side? Just because you see oil coming out with the refrigerant does not mean the total oil charge in the compressor is correct.

If something is starting to fail inside the compressor and everything in the system is good not much you can do.

Comment

System was in the house when we purchased it. I've had this guy do some other installs with no issues, I believe he knows what he is doing. The lubricant question was my observation, he did say he has never seen a system low on lubricant. Yes, it is an R-22 system and he did make a comment that with the higher temps in the summer you would see 62 psi. I assume this is the compressor outlet pressure. This model has a lifetime warranty on the compressor, seems all the newer ones are 10 years. Maybe Goodman will honor the warranty if there is a failure? The system is cooling the house fine, no freezing of the coil, it drops the house about 2 degrees when it kicks on, 2200 sq. ft. ranch in about 15 -20 minutes. Just an odd noise from the compressor. It isn't a chassis noise, it definitely is coming from the compressor.

Comment

your guy doesnt know what he's talking about. any pressure 62 psi or below on the vapor line (large line) is freezing your indoor coil, a liquid line pressure (small line) of 62 psi means there is a restriction in the condenser, failure of the valves or it is incredibly low on refrigerant.

extremely low WILL trash the compressor, especially if it is a scroll. if you have 62 psi on the liquid line you are pumping a vacuum on the vapor line. it cannot be pumping a vacuum for any length of time without collapsing the scrolls. it cannot cool itself and it cannot flush the oil back to the compressor. extremely low refrigerant will also act like it is cooling "ok" and not freezing the coil.

you seem to be fishing for a new compressor. im of the opinion that the problem lies elsewhere, and the information given about your tech leads me to believe that if he replaces the compressor you will end up with a whole lot more problems than you have now.

be aware that a poor installation and failure of the scrolls caused by an uninformed tech and/or bad installation is not a warranty issue. expect that goodman/copeland will open the compressor to inspect the scrolls. if they are found to be damaged by pumping a vacuum they will deny your warranty,

p.s. dont expect a goodman unit to be as quiet as the other brands.
                ~~

Comment

Originally posted by MaryD
                  compressors are almost always noisy.
                  baloney.
                  ~~

Comment

Had the compressor checked by a different service guy. His gauge read 72 psi, which he said was slightly high, but not too bad, and it was ccooling fine on the outlet vent temperature check. He checked the load on the compressor and it was within spec as well. He thought the noise was mostly rifling and the fact that the piping was concreted where it enters the house, not silicone filled, allows it to resonate in the laundry room and seem louder than it is. Unit is 10 years old and is working this summer so far. He is going to bid a new unit for installation in the fall when things slow down. He is a fan of Tempstar, any thoughts on their equipment? He thought Goodman was middle of the road, and used to like Rheem, but there has been problems with the local parts shop, so he is down on them now.

Comment

here, Goodman is known for its use by hacks. it does not compare with other brands in terms of reliability or quality of manufacture IMHO. Tempstar is made by ICP/Heil/Carrier.
                      ~~

Comment

Here's a 2012 article about Goodman and the company who bought them out. Buy American Anyone?

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/blo...age=all&r=full

http://listcrux.com/top-10-best-air-...he-world-2014/
                        Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 07-23-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

nkyrental, compressors are almost always noisy. If the compressor is making an unusual noise or is noisier than it used to be, it might be worn out or wearing out. It is not dangerous to run a compressor when it is noisy. Sometimes compressors last for years even after they become noisy. But it doesn't mean that you will ignore that noise, you should consult on a technician about that.

Comment

Who owns York. I had a York HE gas furnace with a matching 15 SER HP installed in early 2011. I was told that Goodman owned York but the article made no mention that York was one of the line. So I am wondering who owns York.
                            Charles

Comment

I believe York is part of the ICP conglomerate. Goodman is part of Daikin group.
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X