Refrigerator compressor quit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator compressor quit

I was wondering if i measured the ohm readings on the 3 pins on the compressor and getting my 4, 6, and 9 ohms like i am suppose to, does that mean that the capacitor and relay is gone and that i can always start it up with the 3 in 1 kits from our wholesaler? I wanted to ask because im helping my neighbour out and he was told by Handy Appliances that the compressor was hooped. My neighbour is not technical and witnessed that the tech used a wire to jump start the compressor with no success. I asked if he recalls the tech used his own 3 in 1 kit as part as his hard wire set up. He doesn't remember. I said to trust the tech and assume his compressor is hooped.

Im not an appliance repair tech but just wanted to help the old neighbour save some bucks if his fridge can be salvaged. (about 7 years old)

So my question is, just because i measured the correct ohms, the compressor can still be hooped?

Thanks for reading this.

you should have 4, 6, and somewhere very close to 10. C-S, C-R, S-R. Also test each pin to ground. That will only tell you if the compressor is not grounded and the windings are probably good.

test the capacitor to make sure it is within spec. +- 5% is OK for each set of terminals (herm and fan if it's a dual cap). a 3in1 is probably not the best option for a fridge. they really dont need a hard start kit.

the compressor can still be crap, with good windings, if it ran extensively with no refrigerant or the bearings have failed or some other mechanical fault has happened.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• blue_can
      blue_can commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought the higher resistance would be the start winding so for 4, 6 and 10 I think it should go C-R, C-S and S-R

Thanks PP. I measured the cap at that time and got 15.4 on a cap rated 15 micro-farad. I guess the only thing i didnt check properly was the relay that the cap plugged into. I spoke to my neighbour and he said that he might go with the appliance techs report. I guess it is going to hurt them to throw away a 7 year fridge and go purchase a new one. They didnt want to take a chance to buy the original replace cap/relay for 60.00 to try and find out it really was the compressor.

Comment

7 years isnt a bad run on a consumer grade fridge.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I assume the compressor is dead. You could try measuring the current draw with a clamp type ammeter - if the current draw is high (close to LRA) this could point to a mechanical failure especially if the caps, relay and winding tests look good.

Comment

• robertochekwong
          robertochekwong commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks blue can for confirming for me and giving me confidence to let my neighbor know that they can go ahead and get a new fridge. I went over there and it pulled 9.6 amps on that unit but without success.
      Working...
      X