Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace won't start

Greetings,

My furnace isn't starting the first time. It tries to start but clicks repeatedly and eventually gives up. It usually starts the second or third time. I attached a video of the sound it's making and the flame trying to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post a bigger video - not easy to see what is going on at that size.

It looks like it has a hot surface igniter - judging by the glow before ignition. My guess is the clicking plus the flame briefly appearing seems to suggest an issue with the gas valve or the control board not energizing the gas valve and keeping it open.

Comment

That's a honeywell smartvalve system. The ignitor should glow for more than 3 seconds or so, more like 15. You likely need a new gas valve. That clicking is also unusual and may indicative of a failing draft motor, but right now is not part of the problem. Be prepared for a large bill from the tech, Smartvalves are POS.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Have you checked to see if the flue is clear? I found a bird in one and that furnace acted like yours.

Comment

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          I found a dead spider in a tube for a pressure switch that kept the furnace from starting up. I would lock out after three attempts.

Also check the vacuum line for moisture that could have built up over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60
          Have you checked to see if the flue is clear? I found a bird in one and that furnace acted like yours.
          Originally posted by nkyrental
          Also check the vacuum line for moisture that could have built up over the summer.
          If the pressure switch is intact and working the furnace should never reach firing stage if the tube/port/flue is blocked.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I faced this issue. Then I contact an expert.
            aspenheating.ca

Comment

Working...
            X