Looking for a Compact Electric Furnace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Compact Electric Furnace

Looking for a compact electric 240V furnace to replace what we have, however we'd like to put it above the bathroom instead to free up some floor space. The old unit still works fine and we only want an electric furnace. We only have one main duct which does up to the ceiling as the house doesn't have a heated crawl space. The house has a vaulted ceiling throughout the whole thing, total ceiling height it about 13' and the walls only go up to 8'. The unit will need to be on it's side, I was planning on taking out the ceiling in the bathroom and replacing it with steel channel to free up some height between the roof joists and bathroom. The unit will sit horizontal, so it's length doesn't matter that much as we have about 6' to work with. But the unit, if it's 21" deep, then it can't be higher than 16", or if it's 18" deep, it can be 17 1/2" in height. Wondering if anyone knows of any models available on the market? I've been searching, but the smallest I was able to find so far is a Winchester which is 21"x17.5".

As for the air intake, I've been debating on that. Currently the furnace pulls the air from the floor. So I'm not sure if it should have the intake at the top of the wall or run it though the wall so it pulls it from the floor.

I would use an air handler and put electric coils into it rather than a "regular" electric furnace. They are generally smaller in size. Additionally, you could add a heat pump to the system because a heat pump is greater than 100% efficient (it creates more heat equivalent per unit of energy consumed). The heat pump will save you some hydro costs on the shoulder seasons.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      I would use an air handler and put electric coils into it rather than a "regular" electric furnace. They are generally smaller in size. Additionally, you could add a heat pump to the system because a heat pump is greater than 100% efficient (it creates more heat equivalent per unit of energy consumed). The heat pump will save you some hydro costs on the shoulder seasons.
      Thank you for your reply. I didn't realize air handler unit could have coils installed. Would they typically have the same efficiency rating as an electric furnace and be able to achieve the same btu/kw rating? As much as I'd like a heat pump, we don't plan on staying in this house permanently and there most likely isn't enough space for the heat pump either. Right now hydro isn't horrible and we still have quite a bit to improve with regards to the place being sealed up. Still need to redo some insulation, applying vapour barrier at the moment which it didn't have and we already installed new windows/doors.

Comment

you can get exactly the same KW out of separate coils as you can a "regular" furnace. All electric coils are essentially 100% efficient. An air handler can often be better for the statements I made above PLUS it often has a higher capacity blower which can often overcome duct deficiencies that a "regular" unit may not be able to.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
        X