3 amp Fuse Blows when R and Common Are Jumped on Bryant Heat Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 amp Fuse Blows when R and Common Are Jumped on Bryant Heat Pump

I own a Bryant Furnace/Heat Pump (Model CNPVP3014// Model 213A/214A). I've dealt with the infamous 3 amp fuse blowing in the passed. In response, I've done three things. First, repurposed loose wire when I determined that the short was on the Common wire. It blew again. Replaced the Contractor. Fuse blew again. Replaced the Capacitor outdoors. That held for 3 months.

Now the fuse is blowing again.

By jumping the R with each wire in the Furnace unit (using a resettable 3 amp fuse), I narrowed in on the R and Common wire again.

The main difference this time is that the fuse blows only when the R is jumped to the screw down for the Common wires on the circuit board in the furnace.

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction from here.

Thank you!!!

R and common will ALWAYS blow the fuse. It's a direct short. You likely have a rub-through on a low voltage circuit inside the heat pump. Look for where wires are pinched, bundled or touch other things.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Awesome, thank you!!! I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks!!! I'll let you know what I find.

- adam

Comment

Plumber Punky:

Thanks again! I don't know where my brain fart came from...I should've realized that the R to C would short automatically;;

So, I tried jumping to each wire. No combo would make the fuse to blow. However, I did notice that the led light on the circuit board flickered in an odd pattern when R to W (heat) was jumped. Same when I added the O/B (reversing valve). So, I suspect that my issue is, as you say, something on the W circuit. I inspected the wires and couldn't find anything. Still, I rewired the white in the condenser to a free wire. Sewed everything back together. It's working perfectly for now.

I'm thinking that when my furnace guys come out for the routine cleaning I'll alert them to the situation and see what their thoughts are about the whole thing. They're likely in a better position to see something that I can't.

Thanks again for the help!!

Comment

different blinks or LED reactions are normal on a call for heat (W) or (O/B). It often tells the user what's happening. Now, I cant tell you exactly what the LED is saying because I dont know every single system out there. Especially for HP systems as heating can be both energized or not on O/B when a call for heat occurs.

If you jumped the terminals on the board and the fuse blows, stop doing that. It could get expensive. If you're jumping the wires at the t-stat and the fuse blows (other than r-c) then there is likely a control wire problem to the thermostat.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
          X