No announcement yet.

New HVAC flex ductwork new plastic smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blue_can, thank you for your insight. I was wondering about the layout as well but since I have never seen one I wasn't sure if was good or not. I was confused when I saw the 90 degree turns and thought it couldn't be very effective. We have a variable blower handler, so I get that compensates for it? I am not sure if they used Man D to design it. The ac company was out at the house today and the sprayed the coils. It didn't help. They are going to come out next week and replace the spare bath line to see what that does. I am hoping that is the answer because I cannot figure out anything else that would be the culprit. I smelled the tape and adhesives they used to create the boxes. None of them had the same plastic smell. The tech did mention the clear condensation pump line. It is made out of clear plastic and does have a plastic smell. I am not sure how the condensation pump works and if the smell of the plastic hose could infiltrate the system. If that was the case I would imagine it would effect the whole system and not just some vents.

Comment

Hard 90s out of the primary plenum box are common but typically turning vanes are used to sweep the air around the corner rather than just let the air bounce 90 degrees which does not work well. I cannot image there are turning vanes in your system especially with multiple smaller ducts coming out of the boxes and multiple boxes.

A variable speed system should compensate but only up to a limit. They cut off once the static pressure reaches about 2" WC. Did these guys give you a static pressure number as part of the startup process. Did they follow ACCA QI Spec 5 and give you a startup report? With too high a static and restricted ducts you may have high levels of noise from the airflow which may be annoying. A well designed system should be quiet.

Yes the condensate pump and related components would affect all the ducts and not just some. The condensate pump just removes the moisture that condenses on your cooling coil when the ac is running.

Comment

blue_can, great information, thank you. I do not believe they gave us a static pressure number but I will certainly be asking for it now. The system is quite loud, so you are probably right on all the points you mentioned. Thank you for helping to rule out the condensation pump, that makes sense. I have my fingers crossed that they come out on Monday, change the spare bath line and it works. If it does than we know what needs to be done for the rest of the effected lines. If it doesn't then I am at a loss as to what else it could possibly be.

Comment

Hopefully they will be changing it out with a different brand - otherwise if the replacement has the same issue - assuming it is the issue - replacing it will not fix the problem.

Maybe see if you can smell the existing duct when the pull it off and the replacement before they put it on. That may help.

Comment

Hello blue_can and parklane, did you ever figure out the plastic smell?

Comment

I just had all our 1950's ductwork ripout and replaced with insulated flex duct. We now have a pretty strong plastic smell coming through out hvac system.

Comment

Originally posted by Carp32 View Post
                Hello blue_can and parklane, did you ever figure out the plastic smell?
                Unfortunately the OP never came back to tell us the final outcome. So I do not know how if and how it was resolved. But maybe there is some information in this thread to help find the issue.

Comment

Working...
                X