Boxing in a NG Furnace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing in a NG Furnace

Was contemplating finishing a section of the basement, and would need to create a "furnace room". I know that each make/model will be different, but what would be a "general" good square footage for a furnace and HW tank room? HWH is tankless, and the furnace suits a 2200 sq feet space.

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
    Was contemplating finishing a section of the basement, and would need to create a "furnace room". I know that each make/model will be different, but what would be a "general" good square footage for a furnace and HW tank room? HWH is tankless, and the furnace suits a 2200 sq feet space.
    I would suggest deciding on the exact HVAC unit you plan to place there as well as the associated duct work and how that would be designed in order to size the room. At the least have a Manual J calculation done so that you will know the heating, cooling and airflow requirements of a generic system. The sq ft is somewhat meaningless without knowing your local climate conditions - this is another reason to get a proper heat and cooling load calc done as a starting point.

*EDIT* I just noticed that you are likely in Canada - if so I would suggest using whatever the sizing methodology is in Canada to get an idea of your hat and cooling loads.
    Last edited by blue_can; 05-05-2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Leave enough room for maintenance. Nothing worse than trying to work on something in cramped quarters.
      Plus, it's basically a fire in a metal box, so keeping as much distance as you can afford to between it and combustible materials is a plus in my book. If you check the installation instructions for whatever model you decide on, thee should be some guidelines on minimum (that's MINIMUM as in MORE IS BETTER) distances on each side of the unit for maintenance and clearance to combustible surfaces.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Working...
      X