Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming HVAC trunk?

Hi gang,

i want to finish my basement, but on my return trunk some of it sticks out further than necessary and will interfere with my ceiling line. Rather than box it in, I wanted to consider cutting it back since it appears longer than necessary.

Are there any recommendations for how best to go about this? Any potential concerns with doing so?

Pictures below. You can see there is about 12” of trunk under the joists where it is longer than necessary. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version  Name:	0D454D4E-568B-48AB-8026-7CC6EF41A412.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	747571Click image for larger version  Name:	3F4996EA-4B7C-4894-ADA8-7E61AD3AE2EB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	747572

So you want to move the left side about 12" to the right? I think I understand what you want to do but not entirely clear.

Yes you should be able to remove the end cap and then use sheet metal cutters to trim the duct where you want and reattach the end cap. The issue I see is that since the duct has been formed with a bead roller the end cap may not fit at the new location and you may need to fabricate a new end cap.

The cleanest solution would be to re-fabricate a new duct section. Maybe have an HVAC company make a new duct.

Comment

Working...
    X