X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Energy Kinetics System 2000?

We have been installing System 2000 for 30 years now. Managers almost never fail. EK does not want un-trained un-qualified people working on their systems so if you are not an authorized dealer you are not going to get much information from them.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheelcycle View Post
      I have had a System 2000 since 1994 - 17 years. The original steel boiler and the electronic master control are both performing perfectly. I am in NH with a local heating system design temperature of -15 F.

My oil use dropped significantly when I installed the System 2000 after 17 years with the original boiler that was installed when we built our house in 1977. It is a very quiet system and gives us unlimited hot water with fast recovery.

My only problem with the System 2000 has been with the zone valve that serves our finished basement loop. The water returns very cold, especially for the first call in the morning. This causes the zone valve to operate frequently and results in frequent motor burn outs, about eight in 17 years. Recently, the whole valve (internal rubber parts) deteriorated and stuck closed. A new design valve was installed and it became stuck internally after one month. This happened on a 0 degree F evening and resulted in frozen pipes and about $1,000 in plumbing and valve repair costs!!!!!

I am now ready to replace the System 2000 just to get away from the zone valve setup. I have looked at a Buderus G115WS, but I think I may actually go for a new System 2000. If I go with the System 2000 I will specify that it be configured with all circulator pumps and NO zone valves.
      It is our cold basement loop (slab on grade, walk-out basement) that is causing the problem. We still have the original zone valves and motors (17 years!) in the upstairs and hot water zones.
      Did system 2000 pay for the loss from their defective heating system that actually caused this damage?
      I am planning to install system 2000-should I or not? What do you recoment?

Comment

Originally posted by dm_lmt View Post
        I own an energy kinetics system 2000. don't listen to anyone else. this system is a TOTAL piece of crap. I hate the damn thing. Every year I need to have someone fix the piece of crap. The system manager works for about a year - then you need to replace the thing - $500. No companies service the piece of crap. Call Energy Kinetics - but only 9-5 M-F. They are never available. I would rather heat my house with a hair dryer. This company should be embarassed to say "made in USA" don't believe anyone else - THIS SYSTEM IS A PIECE OF ****
        Why the 5 yr warranty did not cover this expense?

Comment

Originally posted by dm_lmt View Post
          I own an energy kinetics system 2000. don't listen to anyone else. this system is a TOTAL piece of crap. I hate the damn thing. Every year I need to have someone fix the piece of crap. The system manager works for about a year - then you need to replace the thing - $500. No companies service the piece of crap. Call Energy Kinetics - but only 9-5 M-F. They are never available. I would rather heat my house with a hair dryer. This company should be embarassed to say "made in USA" don't believe anyone else - THIS SYSTEM IS A PIECE OF ****
          Why the 5 yr warranty did not cover this expense?
          I am planning to install this so are you recommending not to do?

Comment

Originally posted by dapoppa View Post
            If you have to replace the manager every year and you're being charged for it, #1 the service company is ripping you off big time, #2 you must have a big "S" on your forehead. Who else would pay $500 a year for a product with a warranty on it?
            that warranty is a limited 5 yr-so may be they did not cover using the term limited-you need to prove annual service was done-may be this happened.

Comment

that warranty is a limited 5 yr-so may be they did not cover using the term limited-you need to prove annual service was done-may be this happened.

Comment

I too have had the same problem with the Energy Manager after 1 1/2 year old system. The inner board fried bigtime..(whatta smell). Was told it was lightening or a electricity spike was the cause however I have whole house surge prtection and the day it fried there wasn't any lightening. Installer is working with me on the situation. Cost of new Manager and labor about $1,200. In the process of communications with the Energy Kinetics (again) and installer. on a good note the system has saved us $$$ in oil. Anyone out there have similar problems with the Manager? And a resolve?

Comment

Ive installed 3 new boards on the same boiler. How much money do you think those people are saving?

Comment

Have you called Tech Support about this? If the manager has been replaced 3 times there's more to this than meets the eye.

Any manager that fails has at least a core credit on return to EK, unless it's been totally destroyed. You don't have to prove it's been serviced every year.

Energy Kinetics backs the warranty, not the service provider. They are the middleman.

Comment

I am not a plumber or heating expert. We have had a System 2000 installed in a newly built house in 2001. Most of the houses in our development did the same. The systems are maintained. During the first years everything was fine, but over the last two years we have had repairman in often, the last time 3x in 12 weeks. We have replaced boards, motors and now the energy manager. After asking around I know of three of my other neighbors all have had problems. One has received a quote from our local oil dealer/service company for a completely new systems and I am doing the same. I cannot speak for how they were installed, since I have no experience with heating systems. WHen it worked the system was fine... quite and efficient. It seems that after 10 years the whole thing just fell apart.

Comment

Are these systems installed with chimneys or sidewall venters? I've seen pictures of some installs in parts of Mass with sidewall vent kits that don't even come close to being installed correctly.

I used to install System 2000 (over 60 of them) and never had any problems beyond normal wear. My own is 16 years old and has survived power surges and generator power with no ill effects. The original relay board did fail a few years ago but that's been it. Several acquaintances have been installing them for years and swear by them. I would guess that either the current oil company doesn't know much about them or prefers to recommend a dumber boiler so the techs with not much experience can work on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Livy222 View Post
                          I am not a plumber or heating expert. We have had a System 2000 installed in a newly built house in 2001. Most of the houses in our development did the same. The systems are maintained. During the first years everything was fine, but over the last two years we have had repairman in often, the last time 3x in 12 weeks. We have replaced boards, motors and now the energy manager. After asking around I know of three of my other neighbors all have had problems. One has received a quote from our local oil dealer/service company for a completely new systems and I am doing the same. I cannot speak for how they were installed, since I have no experience with heating systems. WHen it worked the system was fine... quite and efficient. It seems that after 10 years the whole thing just fell apart.
                          This is exactly what I always hear about this system.

Comment

Working...
                          X