X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifier

I have an Aprilaire humidifier on my furnace. Last summer I installed a 100,000 btu furnace (Heil) to replace a 70,00 btu (Goodman) that wouldn't keep up in really cold weather. The humidifier worked fine in the past (windows would really frost up if I forgot to turn down the humidistat in really cold weather) but since the new furnace is in, it doesn't do the job. I've put in a new media, checked that the air flow is coming through the duct from the humidifier, and watched to be sure the water is flowing through the media as it should. Everything seems to be o.k. Two questions--1. Would the speed of the fan have anything to do with this? (The fan is at the medium setting) and 2. Would the increase in BTU's have an effect? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Jim

I had a similar problem with my flow through style humidifier. What I did was hooked up an in-line booster fan (from HD) wired off the furnace control board to come on with the main blower during the heat cycle.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wayne: Did that solve the Problem? I seem to have a lot of air flowing through, but maybe it isn't enough. Sounds like it might be worth a try. Thanks for the response.
      Jim

Comment

It helps a lot, I can get the humidity to stay over 30% when it is really cold, where as before the upgrade I was in the low 20's with really bad static. Now I rarely get a static shock. It was a cheep fix and seem to work well enough. The real solution I think is an outside air exchanger

Comment

Jim,
          I sell this equip for a living (wholesaler). Some of the isssues are: Is the model you have a bypass style (sounds like it may be this type) or is it mounted directly to the plenum ? What is the square footage of your home ? (some of the bypass units will only handle so many sq. ft.) Also one thing you can also do to help is attach the feed line onto your hot water side about six inches up off the tank (hot water will atomize quicker than cold !) I agree in saying your best bet would be a fresh air exchanger but this may not be feasible.
          Your fan speed setting is fine (medium for heating). This may sound stupid but make sure if there is a damper its in the correct position, and the the humidistat is set to approx 35%.

Ted

Comment

Thanks a lot for the reply, guys. TED: The humidifier is attached directly to the plenum. (I will try to post a pic later, if I can make it work) Square footage is about 2200--Story and a half house total sq. ft. Water is attached to the hot side-about two feet from the tank. Before I changed furnaces, I could make water run off the windows easily if I set the humidistat high enough. No such luck now--even at 20 below zero. The unit is on the same plenum--didn't have to change that. ????????

Comment

Ted: I tried to post a pic, but it was too big for the forum--I don't know how to reduce it to be able to post it.
              Jim

Comment

I wonder if it's wired differently. I mean what has really changed? 30,000 BTU's shouldn't prevent it from being effective. Maybe it was connected to run longer previously. i.e. wired to fan instead of ventor motor. If your furnace has taps for humid. and EAC, try wiring it to the EAC taps. That may give it a longer run time and help a bit. The only other thing I can think of is if the orifice is partially blocked and water flow is less than before.

Comment

I agree nothing in the setup changed except for the increase in BTU's (except for any variance in the way it was / is hooked up. Are you hearing the solenoid open and flow water at the same moment that the t-stat calls for heat ? If it is mounted directly to the plenum, then it is what we call a power style. This has fan assist (is it running ??). Do you remember at what point in the heating cycle it turned on with the old furnace compaired to how it comes on now ??

Comment

Dietz and Senator91: It is wired the same as it was before--solenoid opens and closes with the furnace fan.(No fan assist on this model) Lots of water flowing through the media. I will check for EAC taps and give that a try if they are there. Just to give a recap--I thoroughly cleaned the unit, put in a new media, wired the same as before, goes on and off with the blower(circulates the air past the heating panels, not the power vent) I will let you know about the EAC. Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Keep in mind the voltages if you're thinking of changing taps. Some humid. connections are 24v. and EAC taps tend to be 120v. You don't want to blow the solenoid coil.

Comment

My humidifier taps are 120 volt--I had to put in a transformer. Thanks, Jim
                        UPDATE: Did some sleuthing and discovered that the humidifier tap went off with the burner. EAC tap goes off with the circulating fan. Moved to EAC and am trying that. Will let you know the results. Thanks again.
                        Last edited by Pipestone Kid; 03-12-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Pipestone, here is the pic you sent me of your setup
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	fbadcf2d90117d1d62454aa2060220fc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	152

Comment

Thanks for posting the pic, Wayne. If you ever get near Bigfork, Mn. (75 miles south of Fort Frances Ont.) the cold ones are on me!!

Comment

humid probs

lack of run time due to increase of btus. either a bigger unit or turning the fan switch to on and powering the unit on a fan call. you will want to hook it to the cold water side for this. or you can get a sticker shock $. also check the temp rise on the unit for fun.

fox

Comment

Working...
                              X