dryer duct cleaning is for the birds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dryer duct cleaning is for the birds

my wife picked me up a dryer vent cleaning kit from "Fred's" it says "like the as seen on TV" it was 10 bucks and has paid for it self my times over. it has a flat piece thats 5' or so to shove down in the dryers clean out hole and a 10 foot plastic 1/4" flex with a round brush on the end and a 4' tapered bottle brush. it works great.

i went to my daughters house to clean hers and i kept sucking out huge clumps of what looked like a quilt from the dryer itself. the vent pipe was clean but still not much air flow even not connected to the vent. so i removed the back cover and the inner vent were the fan blows and there was a foot ball size clump of lint build up. works great now.

here's a tip you may not know: take out the lint filter from the dryer and put it under the water faucet and see if it holds water. you think "hey it's a screen it will flow right through" but you will see that it dose not because the dryer sheets that you wife uses clogs it up but you can't see it. take some warm soapy water and scrub it with a rag or a brush and wa-la try the test again and the water goes straight though. i heard that this clogg can cause the element to burn out on electric dryers.
    Last edited by jaminjimlp; 12-14-2007, 02:22 AM.
    ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

If you have a compressor, go to duct cleaners supply and order one of their 30' reverse blowing "bullet" lines for dryer vents, then tape a small piece (1" to 2") of tie wire to the nozzle end with black tape. Placing a slight bend in the wire angles the tip and gives you some additional control over it to work it thru what sounds as if it may be an obnoxious elbow combo. With a little practice, a set of goggles and a respirator annual cleaning will take only a few minutes and your dryer will work far better, last longer, cost less to operate and greatly reduce the risk of burning the house down!

Ron

Comment

As for keep out birds try something more like chicken wire. It has about 3/4" holes so it won't clog up with lint near as fast as would hardware cloth with the smaller 1/4" holes. Birds will work hard to get into dryer vents for shelter.

Comment

There are vent termination made of PVC that has a cross hatch to prevent critter entry.
          Just slow, not stupid

Comment

never had bird problems in the dryer,

have in the gas hot water heater chimney in the barn and in the wood stove chimney and in the furnace intake PVC pipe,

once had to dig a dead bird out of the box where the intake valve is located on the furnace.
            I made a 1/4" hard ware cloth screen for the pipe, it is about 18" long a rolled cylinder, with a small end piece, that way it does not restrict flow nor will it frost up. did have to dig away a snow drift away from it once it is over 8' off the ground.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Rick, I know this post is a little long but it explains a similar situation to yours and the solution. I just know that you have the means to make one or more of these guards for your dryer vent outlet.: True story-my sister lives in the Atlanta, Ga. area and they have the flying squirrels there. Her two story house has two (2) dryer vent type vents on one end of the house, on the outside of the house at the level between the floors of the house. One is for the downstairs bath vent fan, the other is for the clothes dryer on the second floor. These were covered with a plastic vent guard to prevent "varmints" from entering for over six years with no problem. Suddenly last fall there were noises overhead in the downstairs bathroom so she calls me to investigate, I'm only 220 miles away. I get up there an determine that something has eaten through the plastic vent guard, gotten through the metal dryer vent and into the space between the floors of the house. I removed the vent fan of the bathroom, stick my head up there and- -staring back at me are six squirrels sitting in a nest the size of a clothes basket. They made the nest from ripping the paper from the top of the sheetrock of the bathroom ceiling! They had entered by coming through the vent and chewing through the old plastic vent hose connecting the bath vent fan and the outside vent. We convinced them to skee-daddle by using a shop vac with the hose on blower and some foul smelling stuff we mixed up and they went right back out the old plastic vent hose and outside vent. I came home and made a new vent cover from sheet metal and small round metal rod, went back a few weeks later and installed them. TWO days later she sent me a pic via e-mail showing one of the squirrels sitting on the new vent cover chewing it's heart out on the new metal cover. Those little ba$tard$ are persitant for sure. >>It turns out that the squirrels could enter the clothes dryer vent because of the little lint build-up that prevented the outside "door" from closing, they would just use their nose to open it. On the vent from the bath, the cheap, aluminum door just wouldn't close good and again the noses opened it. She has seen these squirrels sitting up there trying to chew their way into these cages many times since. I wonder who their Orthodontist would be? Good Luck, David

Comment

Working...
              X