X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoneing hot water heat

I am adding honeywell V8043E zone valves to my heating system ( using a Honeywell aquastat relay type L8143E) in my home and am not real clear on how to wire the valves. there are 2 red wires and 2 yellow wires and i have created 7 zones, can anyone help?
    sigpic

Have you looked into a Zone Valve Control unit? Argo Technologies makes controllers for up to 6 zones (AZ6Cp & AZ6P) and I suspect Taco makes them also. If you need to expand the 6 zone controller for a 7th zone, they make a single zone controller and will provide you with assistance in wiring same. I had to add a zone to a 3 zone controller when adding a 4th heating zone to our home and their assistance was invaluable.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

these are the controllers I use in my own home. I have a 10 zone system.

Yellow wires are the low voltage control circuit. one of the yellow wires connects to the t-stat wire from the appropriate room (one t-stat per zone) the other is a common back to the transformer.

The common to the transformer is a connection that one of the yellows from each valve connects to.

The other side of the transformer feeds all the t-stats in the loop. the t-stat is a switch, the return from each t-stat goes to the other yellow on the valve.

You will probably need to set up two t-stat runs off two transformers. just do 4 on one and 3 on the other. It's likely one transformer lacks adequate amperage to control all 7 units.

The low voltage lines (yellow) complete a circuit that opens the valves. They also close a switch (relay) inside the valve which turns on the system pump. This is the red wires.

Supply 110V hot to one of the red wires from each valve (it would be good if you put a switch upstream that switched both the hot that goes to the pump and the hot that goes to the two transformers then you can just throw the switch to turn off the system. This would all be on the same circuit at the panel because the low voltage transformers use minimal power). The second red wire on each valve gets connected to the second red wire of all the other valves, then connected to the hot side of the pump wiring. The common side and the ground in the pump connect to the common and ground that feed the system.

It doesn't matter if more than one of the valves is open. Because the feed is the same through all the valves, having multiple switches in the on/connected position will not matter. When one valve opens the pump turns on. If more than one valve is open, the pump still turns on.

Using two transformers seems complicated but it's not. Just use one transformer with each of the t-stat cables and the system will work fine.

Comment

Question:

Does your hot water system have a bypass? You may need it when just one or two zones are activated. To have that number of zones it must be a big house and big boiler.

With one zone or so open there may not be enough water volume going through the boiler to keep it from perculating.

Get some other opinions, I installed only a few hot water systems (25-30) in the twenty eight years I was in the trade. There were others who were more knowledgeable than I.

Use caution on two transformer system not to improperly phase the transformer if you use a common (common). You could put 48V into the system.

Comment

thorn, You misunderstand the two transformer system. Each of the transformers controlls the low voltage side of 1/2 of the valves. The low voltage side of the transformers are not connected to each other at all.

Comment

thorn,

The way that we pipe a hot water system is we make a hot water loop in the room where the boiler is. We put a loop pump on it to get enough flow through the boiler. I have seen people use one pump for the whole system with zone valves or like we do put in a loop pump, zone valves, & indavidual zone pumps. Everyone does it different. What do you do?
            Daniel

Comment

thanks for the info
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X