X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "B" venting?

I installed a ceiling hung heater that calls for "B" vent, I had an old kenmore wall unit that I replaced with the BRU-75 from Beacon/Morris, the wall unit did not have "B" vent ,not sure if it was suppose to, I did not install it was there when I bought my house 15 years ago.
    I used the "B" venting , Two 4 inch .90 degree angles and one straight piece 22 inches long, a 90 off the back of the unit, then the 22 inch long straight piece and then a 90 (both are flex 90's) into the metal flue, The flue ( or chimney) has a base like object that slips on with a 4 inch hole that the old single walled vent went into , I removed it, and the metal inside up through the roof is double walled, do I need to replace the end cap on it with a "B" type one ? Tonight I knotched it so the "B" 90 would fit into it, just so I could test run the installed unit in the garage, it fired right up.I DO have it totally shut down gas is OFF and I turned OFF the Breaker to the unit. My garage roof is some funky roofing shingles not the typical 3 tabbed ones , and real fragile , Do I need to replace the whole chimney part or just that inside endcap part to a "B" type, and leave my roof in tact ,no leaks , but if I have to tear the chimey part out those shingles are gonna fall apart .(planning on a reroof next year I hope at least.) Ceiling unit has a fan that blows exhaust up the flue.Hoping I just need the inside part.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by American and Proud; 10-22-2006, 02:34 AM.

if the b vent pipe is in good shape then leave it

make sure that you have nice tit joints so no exhaust comes out

make sure that the crimped end of the pipe or the male end is going away from the heater
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

you took out the bucket, this is the hanger that allowed the b vent to rest at the ceiling level. they are not required, but does give a nice finish look and support the pipe.

a b type vent cap is not required. a regular vent cap will work fine. make sure your b vent has a minimum of 1'' clearance from all combustables. the single wall vent requires 6'' and is not allowed in walls or attics.

mark, correct me if i'm wrong the wife is rushing me out the door

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm not sure the "chimney"part IS b vent , I took out "the bucket"that clearly was not. I knotched it out with tin snips and a grinder, knotched the 3 pattern ribs that stick out on "B" venting, fits nice ,fitted it in gave it a twist so it can't fall out. When I took off "the bucket" I could see the stack or chimney was double walled but the inner sleeve is loose and you can pull it out, it's all together running now,the "B" vent off the heater is 4" the chimney part is 6 or 8 inches , I will end up changing it once I reroof the garage , for now I'll seal it up even tighter with that tin tape stuff just to be sure , I have a better fit going now than the old unit ever had.( "the bucket" parts hole is reduced to 4 inches)so I just had to remove the same sized knotches to get the 4 inch "B" venting to fit nicely. Unless you guys think its totally unsafe to use what I have? Thanks ( I have at least 6 inches clearance from anything.)
        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
        you took out the bucket, this is the hanger that allowed the b vent to rest at the ceiling level. they are not required, but does give a nice finish look and support the pipe.

a b type vent cap is not required. a regular vent cap will work fine. make sure your b vent has a minimum of 1'' clearance from all combustables. the single wall vent requires 6'' and is not allowed in walls or attics.

mark, correct me if i'm wrong the wife is rushing me out the door

rick.
        Last edited by American and Proud; 10-23-2006, 11:07 AM.

Comment

First off I would caution giving advise on a venting system I have never seen. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

The UPC, UMC, IPC and the IMC all require factory built vents be installed to their listing. If Ameri-Vent's listing includes an Ameri-Vent Bucket and Cap be installed anything else would be a violation of Ameri-Vents listing. Most inspectors will not call you on it but it would be a violation of the listing.

I'm not sure I understand what he has as a house vent. If it really is a chimney he may have a chimney liner. If he has B-Vent the fact that the inner liner is loose means the vent is bad and needs to be replaced. Either way it should probably not have been cut.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
            First off I would caution giving advise on a venting system I have never seen. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

The UPC, UMC, IPC and the IMC all require factory built vents be installed to their listing. If Ameri-Vent's listing includes an Ameri-Vent Bucket and Cap be installed anything else would be a violation of Ameri-Vents listing. Most inspectors will not call you on it but it would be a violation of the listing.

I'm not sure I understand what he has as a house vent. If it really is a chimney he may have a chimney liner. If he has B-Vent the fact that the inner liner is loose means the vent is bad and needs to be replaced. Either way it should probably not have been cut.

Mark
            I'm with Utah here.

Rick, buy youself a current code book (both UPC & UMC) and take a look. Your responses that read "...back in 1995" are below your abilities and aptitude. You are an intellegent plumber. As we used to say in football, "Stay up with the program".
            the dog

Comment

pics

Here is 5 pictures hope this helps.
              And thanks to all who have been helping out.
              If you Look close you can see the little notches I made.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
                I'm with Utah here.

Rick, buy youself a current code book (both UPC & UMC) and take a look. Your responses that read "...back in 1995" are below your abilities and aptitude. You are an intellegent plumber. As we used to say in football, "Stay up with the program".
                dog, 1995 is the last time i did commercial plumbing on a daily basis with commercial inspectors. this was the topic for no hub bands onto plastic. both mark and i stated the same thing for pipe 2'' and smaller of similar o.d. size. you are the one that the inspector called. i've never been called on this for piping as stated. just because 1 inspector called you, or the fact that i was never called on it, is a judgement call by the inspectors. of course when the pipe is of different od sizes, copper, brass tail piece, to cast or plastic, then a transition band is always needed.

as of the last time we did 400 water heaters in burbank, calif. buckets were not required. as noted in the photos, a hanger is all that is shown. the bucket gives a clean finish and the 1'' combustiable spacing. as far as a type b vent cap goes, i don't think it snaps onto the vent like the pipe does. it fits into the inner pipe on the upper connection.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

I was just joking. Unfortunatly, I am not sophisticated enough to use the little icons you use.
                  the dog

Comment

I have a fortune tied up in Code Books.

I have the UBC, UPC and UMC from 76 though 03 and the International codes from 95 to 03 plus a few NSPC and fire codes to boot.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ok,So with the supplied pictures does it look fine to all of you ?
                      Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X