propress job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propress job

i was asked to take some photos of real job conditions. so i took the camera to work with me today and this is what i did.

i was called out to a townhouse leak in a storage area of the owners garage with a 4' ceiling height. the 1.25'' copper main coming in from the outside patio was leaking at a soldered joint. according to the owner this copper was put in over 11 years ago. the tee is a 1.25'' x 1'' x 3/4''.

i knew that since it's the lowest point in the system, soldering would be tuff as the gate valve doesn't shut 100%.

i figured that propress would be the fastest, easiest way to do it. i actually had a 1.25 x 3/4'' tee with me and a 1.25 x 1'' reducer too. so i was all set to do the repair. the drywall was already open from the leaking.

cut out the old and piece in the new. water still dripping from the main, didn't stop me from working and completing the job in under an hour.

attempting to solder with water and close to the studs/ floor would have been difficult and very hot in the small storage area. so once again the propress is the ideal tool for service and repair. not to mention new work too.

here are a few before and after photos.

rick.
    Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: propress job

Nice looking job rick, one question, I don't see your depth marks on the pipe to guage your depth in the fitting. I know that this is not necessary but is recommended by the manufacturer and also looked for by the inspector
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

actually it is there, but my 2 sharpies were having a hard time marking wet pipe and i even dried it. so i scratched it in there. need to come up with a sharpie that works on wet surfaces

that's my idea robert

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

If I remember correctly, they already have a writing implemment for wet surfaces
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

By the way, good job again Rick
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            If I remember correctly, they already have a writing implemment for wet surfaces
            Grease pencil
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/...n/markers.aspx

Sorry Rick, move over buddy, it's time to share the forum daddy
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Those pens will NOT write on pipe.

They are meant for people doing lab work.

Besides, they are $20.50 each.

Good research though
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post

Good research though
                  My BAD, here is something that will write on metal wet or dry, etc
                  take your pick,

http://www.newmantools.com/nissen.htm
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post

Good research though
                    I had the same thought.

Comment

"My BAD, here is something that will write on metal wet or dry, etc
                      take your pick,

http://www.newmantools.com/nissen.htm"

Those will NOT work underwater. They are basically paint in a tube wiith a ballpoint tip. They are used to mark metal alright. Where I have used them is marking pipe spools and on hangers, supports, plate, etc. Ironworkers use them to mark their steel

After the paint is applied it takes some time to dry, sometime as long as an hour depending of the temperature and humidity. They can be a mess if you are not careful with handling. If the tube gets punctured the paint will leak out all over everything and make a nice mess, so don't toss it in the bottom of your tool bucket and drop a 14 on top of it.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

looks good. this is the first time i've read of such a tool. so i'm assuming based on the photos, it presses the fittings on the copper pipes to make a water tight seal?

These are just regular fittings or special fittings made for the press?

Comment

Originally posted by mpower View Post
                          looks good. this is the first time i've read of such a tool. so i'm assuming based on the photos, it presses the fittings on the copper pipes to make a water tight seal?

These are just regular fittings or special fittings made for the press?
                          you can read all you need to know about it on the top of this page under products/ propress.

don't think you're the tradesman they are focused on. they start at $2,000 for the smaller unit 1/2''-1''. and work their way up to $5,000 with all the bells and whistles to 4'' copper.

not knocking you, but pointing you in the proper direction.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

np. I don't plan to buy one. just interested in the mechanics of it. as far as to read all about it; thankx. I'll take it that it crimps/press the fittings on there...

Comment

Originally posted by mpower View Post
                              np. I don't plan to buy one. just interested in the mechanics of it. as far as to read all about it; thankx. I'll take it that it crimps/press the fittings on there...

Yes, it crimps the fittings in place, there is a o-ring that is compressed against the pipe and is protected by the fitting, very good system, as rick pointed out, a bit costly, but it has saved me a few times, like on 4" copper, not being able to drain the system to braze it, and on a speedy job where time was an issue, running close to 300' of 3" water main with tie in's.

excellent product!!
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X