X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soldering cooper natural gas lines

I need to replace my water heater, and whomever installed it , piped it with cooper pipe and configured it so that it has to be cut and removed in order to remove the old and place the new water heater. My question is, Do I need a special type of solder and paste, or will regular lead free plumbing solder and an acceptible paste be OK? I have asked the pros at Home Depot and Lowes and they do not have an answer for me.

Re: soldering cooper natural gas lines

Originally posted by kennethsullivan View Post
    I have asked the pros at Home Depot and Lowes and they do not have an answer for me.

rotflmao, i can't answer your question(as i am not a plumber) but i am sure you will get the help you need and welcome to the group.

the pros at home depot and lowes ...... lmao now that's a good one
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by kennethsullivan View Post
      I have asked the pros at Home Depot and Lowes and they do not have an answer for me.
      Pros at Home Depot and Lowes??...now that's an oxymoron.

Regular lead free solder and paste will be fine be sure to sand the pipe and fittings before soldering.

They sell a water heater installation kit for homeowners that includes 2 flexible stainless steel connectors (no soldering involved).

I've never used one but looks like it would be easy

Comment

WAIT!!! I just read the title of the thread. Copper gas line???...I was thinking water lines...silly me.

The answer is no it needs to be brazed.

Comment

I would not see a problem with turning off the gas,cut the copper back,purge the system,solder on a copper x Female pipe thread,install a brass nipple then a gascock with according flex to control.

I'm not possitive on the 95/5 solder as I do not know how natural or LP gas affects tin.

I'm sure at some point someone here can answer this so both of will know.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            WAIT!!! I just read the title of the thread. Copper gas line???...I was thinking water lines...silly me.

The answer is no it needs to be brazed.
            The copper lines used for gas I've seen in my community have been soldered.SCARY!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X