Brazing copper gas line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazing copper gas line

Never dealt with copper gas lines so why do they need to be brazed? Gas is at a much lower pressure, so what gives?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Brazing copper gas line

I was always told it has to do with the melting temp of the solder. You can't have a large fire go and melt a solder joint on a gas line. That would just make the fire that much worse.

Comment

I would think it has to do with the strength of the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
        I was always told it has to do with the melting temp of the solder. You can't have a large fire go and melt a solder joint on a gas line. That would just make the fire that much worse.
        I like your thought better

p.s. where were you three minutes ago,I thought we were supposed to be watching out for each other

Comment

http://www.copper.org/applications/f...-fittings.html

here is all i could find, i hope it helps some
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Good find OSC, we will make a plumber out of you yet

Some gas has sulpher in it. Mixed with phosphorus that creates a reaction with tin in the solder and breaks down the joint. Thats why the brazing alloy has to contain less than 0.05% phosphorus.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Good find OSC, we will make a plumber out of you yet

lol you wish, as long as there is wood to give my splinters i don't need no stinkin pipes
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

not too sure if the melting temperature is a factor as propress is approved for gas.

same fittings as the propress for water, just a different o-ring is used.

there is an older neighborhood in the are i work and their underground gas service is copper with soldered joints.

makes installing a seismic gas shut off valve fun.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Good find OSC,

rick, question, I have yet to run into the copper, I am curious how one would install a EQ valve on a copper line.

I would guess, braze on an MIP and install the valve?? Now you had stated the gas company supply is copper, EQ valves cannot be installed on the service side, but the customers side, so does this mean there is copper going into the house??
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

The melting point is a factor up here. Soldered joints and Propress are prohibited for use on gas.

5.9.9 (c) brazing with a material that has a melting point exceeding 1000F
                    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Soo the concensus seems to be brazing, thanks guys, and I will try to spell copper correctly from now on. I have never braized before, soo what do I need as for as torch and materials. I would like to install a union where I cut the pipe soo that in six to ten years from now, and it is time to change the water heater again, I would not have to go through this again.

Comment

http://www.thefabricator.com/RepairF...le.cfm?ID=1569

check that link out it might help you and a few others
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

http://www.smithequipment.com/produc...ges/page12.pdf

This is the torch setup I have. I used to use Victor but Bill turned me on to this set. Very good for it's intended purpose. For brazing rod, I use Stay Silv-15 by Harris. Needs no flux.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

kennethsullivan

Your best bet is to use flared joints. A decent flaring tool can be had for under $50. Brazing is not a task for the novice plumber or DIYer.
                            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

is all this for natural or propane

up here we cant use copper for natural gas but we can on propane ,only the propane companies and some plumbers use copper bu we and a lot of others use black pipe or gastite pipe
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X