X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Solvents

I have been working with a new employer as of late and he uses Rain-R-Shine blue PVC cement without primer on all PVC installations. My previous employer used purple primer and medium body solvent cement on all applications. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a real difference or not. I personally prefer using primer and cement because the primer is easier to control and the clear glue makes for an aesthetically pleasing installation. Also, I was wondering what kind of cement would be used to join PVC to ABS if this is even possible.

Re: PVC Solvents

PVC-ABS specified solvent is required out here.
    Primer de-glosses pipe for a better WELD.
    Clear glue does not penetrate enough for me.

Comment

Both the IPC and UPC require primer even when using blue glue. The rumor is that wil change in the next code cycle.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Both the IPC and UPC require primer even when using blue glue. The rumor is that wil change in the next code cycle.

Mark
        Mark is right, the manufactor says you don't need primer. This is where alot of people get confused thinking primer isn't needed for blue glue.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Regardless of which glue I use (gray, clear, green,or blue), I always primer the PVC pipe.

For rough ins and concealed applications I like to use purple primer with gray medium bodied glue. Much easier to see if you misapplied.

For exposed locations I like to use clear primer with clear medium bodied glue.

For joining ABS to PVC I only use the Green transition glue.

I don't know if its just me but it seems like the gray glue sets up quicker than the clear glue, although both are medium bodied.
          sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

With the IPC it is illegal to solvent weld different types of plastic.It calls for a approved adapter fitting or a mech. fitting.Blue glue is not allowed in some cities here as they say the color is too close to purple,which is goofy imo.All else gets primer except abs or cpvc.

Comment

I always use primer on my PVC.

I love the wet n dry pvc cement, it is great, up to 160 psi in 10 mins.

I agree, the grey glue seems to set up quicker and I feel is just as good as wet n dry, but with wet n dry you can have water in the line.

Abs cement on ABS pipe, transition fittings only from ABS to PVC, no mixing pipe allowed in my mind.

Plastic always threaded into steel or copper( plastic mip always into steel fip), not the other way around...oh wait, thats another conversation
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                Plastic always threaded into steel or copper( plastic mip always into steel fip), not the other way around...oh wait, thats another conversation
                I have seen too many steel mip threaded into pvc fip leak due to cracking the female threaded fitting.

I agree with you 100%, however you may have another reason for not wanting to do that.

Later,

Comment

Always PVC mip-female copper,brass,etc.

Can't believe there are that many idiots that you would run into split plastic FIP's more than once.My supervisor taught me this the first few weeks I was in the trade

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Always PVC mip-female copper,brass,etc.

Can't believe there are that many idiots that you would run into split plastic FIP's more than once.My supervisor taught me this the first few weeks I was in the trade

Whats sad is that it may not break right away, but when it does, and it will, it can cause alot of damage. I went to a call, a plumber was there a few days earlier and did an install, it broke when they weren't home, the customer had just had their custom driveway cleaned from when the old one broke and washed the mud down, well, it had happend again

I fixed it right
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                    X