pipe threader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe threader

thank you all for the help and think am going with the hand held threader found one for a good price. do i need a special pipe cutter or can i use a sawzall for now or will it not make a strait cut. thank you

Re: pipe threader

I would recommend a ridgid pipe cutter and a reamer, I have had off brands and they don't work near as well. even if you buy a used cutter, and if the cutting wheel is messed up replace it, there not that badly priced,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The Ridgid cutters are all over the place on E-Bay for cheap.Even if you have to get new wheels.This will save you money you can put towards the reamer you will need.

Good choice,you saved youself a lot of money.I've hand threaded a lot of pipe,it is not that bad.
      Last edited by drtyhands; 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        The Ridgid cutters are all over the place on E-Bay for cheap.Even if you have to get new wheels.This will save you money you can put towards the reamer you will need.

Good choice,you saved youself a lot of money.I've hand threaded a lot of pipe,it is not that bad.

Adam you forgot to mention from your own experience to look at users ratings before purchasing right?

Comment

Originally posted by jimang22 View Post
          thank you all for the help and think am going with the hand held threader found one for a good price. do i need a special pipe cutter or can i use a sawzall for now or will it not make a strait cut. thank you

I have cut all my gas lines with a sawzall and a 812r sawzall blade. You have to be carefull not to cut crooked, the good thing about using a sawzall is that you do not have to ream out that much to get the full bore of the pipe.

When you use roll cutters it tends to leave a ledge on the inside and the outside of the pipe.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Chop saws work great,They are just real messy.It's hard to get all the dust so it doesn't rust the owners property.I still use mine when cutting for the Amigo 2.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              I have cut all my gas lines with a sawzall and a 812r sawzall blade. You have to be carefull not to cut crooked, the good thing about using a sawzall is that you do not have to ream out that much to get the full bore of the pipe.

When you use roll cutters it tends to leave a ledge on the inside and the outside of the pipe.

I do this as well, much faster.

Also, the roll cutters will sometimes make it real hard to get the dies to grab and hold to start a thread on the end of the pipe.

Can make hand banging threads pretty uncomfortable.

I've never owned an electric threader; been doing it manually my whole career and what kept me from ever buying a 300 was the reason my idiot self had to be the one who always dragged that into every job over huge mud ruts to new construction jobs when I first got into the trade.

Part of being a new hand in the trade. Tore my rotator cuff earlier this year and I swear the exercise with my threading tools brought my shoulder back to 100%.........

Okay 90%
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
              X