Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lenox Mobile Torch System

Howdy,
    I new to the site and I was searching for information on this torch setup. I work for new construction plumbing company in Texas and a fellow plumber that I work with has this setup.

He's kinds weird about tools, I guess we all are. The difference between me and him, I like to research them first, he just buys them.

I wanted to come online and find some more opinions. So far it all sounds good. I'm glad I read up on this product. The guy I work with has this thing, it looks cool and seems handy, but like others have said the storage space isn't that big once you put 2 bottles of MAPP gas inside.

One thing that turns me away from Lenox is, why do they have to make WHITE things? I understand that blue and white are their colors but why are things white? They always end up looking VERY Dirty. They make a white canvas tool bag that looks nice but it gets VERY dirty VERY fast.

I also have their torpedo level, it's probably the best level I've ever used b/c the horizontal bubble is on the end which comes in very handy in my opinion.

However, the level is white and like their other items gets DIRTY very fast, hard to keep clean. That's my only complaint on this item.

Back to the torch setup, one good thing I can say, we had to remove a bushing from a 3x2 combo inbetween ceiling joyces (heating fitting and peeling it out....) this torch worked great b/c of the hose. My hand held turbo torch would not stay lit b/c of the lack of air inbetween joyce. I liked this feature, plus you can move it around and not have to worry about the bottle.

I think I'm going to stick with my hand held torch.
    I have 2 different styles

And this one:

I like the 1st torch better. It costs more but the built in striker is AWSOME. If your striker gets wet it's not good, frustrating. Plus if you are working in an area with a lack of oxygen this torch can be re-lit quickly.

The 2nd torch I've gone through 3-4 of them in 3 years (currently a Tradesman Plumber). I am able to get them exchanged for free at our local plumbing supply shop since they have a warranty (not sure but I think it's 1 year). The problem I have the STK-9 is if you let your helper or someone that doesn't have a clue how to turn it off use it, they will turn it off TOO hard and mess up the insides, then it will never turn off again. Then the torch will stay lit and cause the tip to turn red, damaging the tip. The only way to turn it off is to unscrew it from the bottle of MAPP gas.

The 1st torch, TX-504 does not have this problem. I have been very happy with this model and would buy another one.

I'm glad I found this site, this is going to be awsome reading over all these posts.

Thanks for listening,

Gus
    Gus
    M40607

Comment

I dont know about these lennox torches... I purchased the lenox self-lighting swivel torch a few months back. Never lit the first few go's..always a struggle. Eventually stopped working. Especially with mapp - this torch never seemed to deliver. The Turbo STK-99 is muuuuch better. Solid construction and it can take a beating. Havent tried the mobile torch yet though.

Comment

I still can't buy one after Proplumbs saga.

I do like several of Lenox's tools but they just seem a little slow on development. I will say that Ridgids pipe wrenches are better. I am taking my Lenox 10" aluminum in. It will be interesting to see how they treat me.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
          I still can't buy one after Proplumbs saga.

I do like several of Lenox's tools but they just seem a little slow on development. I will say that Ridgids pipe wrenches are better. I am taking my Lenox 10" aluminum in. It will be interesting to see how they treat me.

I agree on the pipe wrenches. I had 1 18" Ridgid 818. I wanted another but the Lenox 18" was cheaper. I don't like it as much as the Ridgid. The Lenox has sharp/rough edges and once the teeth grip it's hard to make it let go. I bought a 2nd 818, it works much better.

The finish also comes off the Lenox wrenches. They look nice when new but the paint chips off and they don't seem to be made out of the same material as the Ridgids'. I know it costs more, but this is another example of you get what you pay for.
          Gus
          M40607

Comment

I have an old Goss torch on a 10 Pound MAPP tank, havent killed it yet

Comment

I use my Mobile Torch System every day, all day. Never had a problem other than flux down inside the tip will keep the striker from igniting.

I've looked everywhere for recall info and nothing found so far

Comment

Originally posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
                Howdy,
                I new to the site and I was searching for information on this torch setup. I work for new construction plumbing company in Texas and a fellow plumber that I work with has this setup.

He's kinds weird about tools, I guess we all are. The difference between me and him, I like to research them first, he just buys them.

I wanted to come online and find some more opinions. So far it all sounds good. I'm glad I read up on this product. The guy I work with has this thing, it looks cool and seems handy, but like others have said the storage space isn't that big once you put 2 bottles of MAPP gas inside.

One thing that turns me away from Lenox is, why do they have to make WHITE things? I understand that blue and white are their colors but why are things white? They always end up looking VERY Dirty. They make a white canvas tool bag that looks nice but it gets VERY dirty VERY fast.

I also have their torpedo level, it's probably the best level I've ever used b/c the horizontal bubble is on the end which comes in very handy in my opinion.

However, the level is white and like their other items gets DIRTY very fast, hard to keep clean. That's my only complaint on this item.

Back to the torch setup, one good thing I can say, we had to remove a bushing from a 3x2 combo inbetween ceiling joyces (heating fitting and peeling it out....) this torch worked great b/c of the hose. My hand held turbo torch would not stay lit b/c of the lack of air inbetween joyce. I liked this feature, plus you can move it around and not have to worry about the bottle.

I think I'm going to stick with my hand held torch.
                I have 2 different styles

And this one:

I like the 1st torch better. It costs more but the built in striker is AWSOME. If your striker gets wet it's not good, frustrating. Plus if you are working in an area with a lack of oxygen this torch can be re-lit quickly.

The 2nd torch I've gone through 3-4 of them in 3 years (currently a Tradesman Plumber). I am able to get them exchanged for free at our local plumbing supply shop since they have a warranty (not sure but I think it's 1 year). The problem I have the STK-9 is if you let your helper or someone that doesn't have a clue how to turn it off use it, they will turn it off TOO hard and mess up the insides, then it will never turn off again. Then the torch will stay lit and cause the tip to turn red, damaging the tip. The only way to turn it off is to unscrew it from the bottle of MAPP gas.

The 1st torch, TX-504 does not have this problem. I have been very happy with this model and would buy another one.

I'm glad I found this site, this is going to be awsome reading over all these posts.

Thanks for listening,

Gus
                Hey Gus,
                Welcome to the forum.
                The turbos not shutting off...A lot of times you can get them to blow whatever is dissrupting the valve by opening them up fully,just let it blast for a few seconds.Most of the time they come back for me.I've bought the self igniters you've pictured above.
                They burn wood(which is unnaceptable in my loop)because they do not articulate off the bottle.I did like having one in the cab of the truck to use as a cigarrette lighter years ago.The ignighters seem to last a little longer these days.

Comment

Working...
                X