Lenox Mobile Torch System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenox Mobile Torch System

I think they got a winner here. http://www.lenoxsaw.com/images/catal...orchSystem.pdf Has anyone had their hands on one yet? It looks really professional and I like the idea of having all of my brushes, flux, etc in one case. I can really see myself using this when I have a long haul in a crawl space. If anyone has used it I would appreciate your opinion.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Lenox Mobile Torch System

Not that one but I did try to use one made by benzomatic. It was a homeowner's type torch and broke the automatic igniter in 2 weeks.

Still, a good use since I didn't have to drag my mc tank or the heavy box associated with it.

I used to have a soldering bucket with everything in that bucket. Now I'm in a box...with a 12' hose.

The cheap benzomatic only had a 6' hose....too short.

How much is it? Supply houses in my area close at 4:30 now.....sad.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Looks Sweet!!! I use thier blades and tubeing cutters....they make some high quality products...I suspect their torch's are also quality.....being HVAC I use Oxy/act torch....Im envious

whats the cost on that set up?

Comment

If you have a lot of open space the hose won't hinder you.I used to use the turbo torch with the regulator attached to a large propane tank then a 12' hose to the handle and tip.The rig was not that good at getting into tight spots in comparison to the T-K9 that screws directly on to the small tanks you have shown here.And there is no hose to get hung up on the many obstacles on a project.Mine only costs $60.00 and it's very maneuverable.Oh,by the way some self igniter systems wear out long before the regulator.How expensive are the ignitor tips.If yours wears out quickly how much is a non igniter tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
          Looks Sweet!!! I use their blades and tubeing cutters....they make some high quality products...I suspect their torch's are also quality.....being HVAC I use Oxy/act torch....Im envious

whats the cost on that set up?
          http://secure.nhbragg.com/itemFlyPage.php?partid=825932 Cheapest place I have seen on the net, I am going to ask my supply house tomorrow.

Lenox has impressed me lately. I have sworn off Irwin, although their Speedbor bits have peeked my interest.http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd160003
          Last edited by Tyman; 12-12-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

WOW nice price!!

I work at a pluming / hvac company...ac guys sneer at turbo torch's for brazing...plumers thing us AC guys use too much heat with oxy/act. most guys at the shop have beat up B-tank set up.....Im love that set up...might get one after xmass just to make plumers envious

I have 2 of the Speedbor bits I use dureing change outs..drill holes in plywood stands to run the line sets and such...sometimes in attics to run new t-stat wire to a new location so drilling through 2x4s...they work great!!

Comment

Gopher, get a captain hook tip for your oxy and you sweat a 3/4" joint in 2 seconds. Works great.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i have had the system for a few months now, im freinds with the local rep. it works great and i am very happy with the torch but there are a few flaws that might sway you away from buying one. if you solder often you carry a decent size can of flux, it wont fit inside. you need the very small size about the same as a can of heat resistant greese. you can only fit mini cutters in the case as well all of my lennox cutters are too big. the last issue is one that is part my fault, i lost the brass end to the torch and lennox doesnt have any replacements yet, also i dropped the tip once and it cracked the handle. the hose never seems to stay in place either the hose wrapps are too shallow and the hose unravells almost all of the time. but for the money and the convinience of self lighting and not having to carry a b-tank around it is worth it.
                how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Do you think it has the capacity for 2 auto-cutters?, tin for flux?
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks for the report proplumb. I am still holding out for now. Is the hose flexible, stiff, or retain memory?

Comment

After years of dead end purchases winding up at the bottom of the tool box, broken and twisted..I just keep things simple.
                      My full size Turbo sits in the truck, silently awaiting the first apartment complex I have to solder from the ground up.
                      I'm with Adam, I use the "pee-wee" torch (as I call it)..fits right in my bucket with all my handtools.
                      Time is money, one less trip up 3 flights of stairs for one more tool gets me to my next job that much quicker.

Comment

just an update on this system, not all its cracked up to be. the torch head will not lite on a consistant basis, i find i have to keep the gas turned down way low and give it a few clicks to lite the hose is very flexable and has springs on the weak spots to pnching which is a great idea, this also causes the hose to unravel from the holder. the holder hose holder lips are also too small not helping the issue. the hose appears to be about 6" too short so there is either too much hose flopping around or it wont fit in the holster, the only solution i have found id i screwed a copper clip to the top of the case and bend it around to keep the hose in place. now that i have found a small flux can i can fit all of my soldering goods in there minus my large cutters. i solder everyday and even do a fair amount of brazing with the torch and it does work well for that as long as there is no wind. i get allot of comments at work form other guys who se it and like the idea but when i show the flaws they wont buy it. im not a lennox basher i have a tonn of there tools and love thier sawzall blades i just feel they missed a few key points with this one. hopefully they come out with a seconed generation of tis too then it would be awsome. im trying to talk to lennox and see if i can help them allong in know a few guys in the company and realised they did no feild testing on this tool another company was trying to release the same thing and it was a race for proffit so we all know that happens.
                        how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

While on a 4th floor walkup bathroom remodel last week, my B tank falls over and scratches the new tub That was the last straw. I only had about 6 joints to solder too. Next trip to Ferguson I pick up the Lenox Mobile Torch for just under $200 They love to screw me on tool purchases. WAAAY lighter than a B tank. As others mentioned, space is at a premium inside the storage area. If it were larger it would just become a pigeon hole for leftover fittings. The hose wrap was a little tricky getting used to but once I figured it out no problem with hose staying wrapped up.

This is the first Mapp gas torch I've used. Always been a acetylene turbotorch guy so this is a big change for me. Only comes as a 3/8" tip or 1/2" tip. I bought the 3/8". Looks like it will do up to 1" copper no problem.

The igniter tip adds some length to the handle so getting into tight spots a bit tougher now. My first igniter tip too; so far not impressed.

The white and blue plastic case is more pleasing to the eye. I find that the B tank and tip holder rig tends to scare customers away.

Buckets are for catching water..NOT for carrying tools. Let's look a little more professional out there

Comment

Thanks for the update. I am holding off buying it now.

Comment

It's not a 'must have' tool or one of those things that makes you say why didn't I get one sooner? but it definetely fills a niche

Comment

Working...
                              X