X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My basement may be famous

Well they shot some footage of my professional installation in my basement. I doubt they'll use it but it was a good example of cramped quarters. I know it aint perfect but it was my first installation. The first image looks like the silcock pitches down as it goes out toward the wall. Its actually very level. I didn't hack it in.. I promise.

Josh
    Attached Files

Re: My basement may be famous

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    Well they shot some footage of my professional installation in my basement. I doubt they'll use it but it was a good example of cramped quarters. I know it aint perfect but it was my first installation. The first image looks like the silcock pitches down as it goes out toward the wall. Its actually very level. I didn't hack it in.. I promise.

Josh
    Wow it looks like we may need to bring some tools when we come to repipe your laundry area.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Wow it looks like we may need to bring some tools when we come to repipe your laundry area.

Mark
      Are you refering to a level for the cold on the W/M?

Just teasing Josh

Comment

Wow,look at the fingernails.

I gotta get a manicure

Comment

i know for a fact that i was the one that told you to use propress on that frost proof hose bibb.

just in case you end up giving away the propress tool. i was first ben

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Forget about the nails. . . the whole hand is clean

Those aren't working man's hands
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              The first image looks like the silcock pitches down as it goes out toward the wall. Its actually very level.

Josh
              If this is a frost proof hose bibb you want it to angle downward as it exits the wall so it can drain.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Are those pipe bits the ones that come pre-soldered? I tried those and they didn't work out so well for me. I think I had to move one or something once they were heated so the solder just pooled up in the groove and then I couldn't fit them back together again.

Good to put together, heat, and be done with. Not so good if you ever need to take them apart and reuse them.

Of course... I don't expect a plumber would ever reuse such a thing. Probably have piles of them in the van...

Now I'm rambling. What's a propress?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                  Now I'm rambling. What's a propress?

propress is to copper, as the k-60 is to snaking

propress is a copper crimping system that uses specialized copper fittings with o-rings and hydraulically crimps them onto copper tubing.

all within 5-7 seconds even with water dripping

look at the new 330-b crimper on the opening page.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Good thing you didn't have to resort to using a Tasmanian Salmon in there, Josh.
                    Steve
                    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Ah! So those fittings with the bulge in them are not the ones that come filled with solder? Good stuff! Those seemed like a good idea until I tried them.

If they've got an o-ring in them though... won't that degrade and leak over time? I mean... when you take old o-rings out of faucets after a few years, the rubber is very much not very rubbery anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                        Ah! So those fittings with the bulge in them are not the ones that come filled with solder? Good stuff! Those seemed like a good idea until I tried them.

If they've got an o-ring in them though... won't that degrade and leak over time? I mean... when you take old o-rings out of faucets after a few years, the rubber is very much not very rubbery anymore...
                        I'd made the very same point months ago, the argument being that the rubber in the Propress is "elastomeric"...supposedly different than what we see in standard fixtures.
                        I priced the tools, $2200 for the smaller diameter tool...$3500 for the larger.
                        I'd just as soon wait and see if they hold up, and if the price comes down.

Comment

Pricy, but I can certainly see how they could pay for themselves quickly if you can reliably slap all those connections together in a couple minutes rather than having to sweat each of the joints!

I guess the key is the reliability...

Don't building codes say that all connections that will be sealed behind walls have to be sweated? To these meet some sort of exemption?

Or has this all been discussed elsewhere such that I should just stop asking questions here in a thread about Josh's basement?

Comment

Working...
                          X