Threading Pipe advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading Pipe advise

I left my dear Rigid 400 and most of my drop head dies in NM. I could strap that baby on my taigate and thread away. I want to thread pipe, mostly 1/2 to 1 inch, for jobs that come around once a month or so.

I could do the following:

1. buy or ship the 1/2 to 1 inch ratchet type threaders and buy a pipe vise and stand. This worries my wife, as I am 65, and it could add some aches and pains to my shoulder and elbow.

2. Buy a used Rigid 400 in CA thru craigslist or ebay.

3. Order a Wheeler-Rex 7991 Sidekick II. This looks good for threading this range of pipe, is light weight (58lbs), but does not look like a machine that one can use to put the fittings on the end of the pipe. Also they cost a bit ($1400 or so, including tax and shipping). Does anyone have experience with this type of machine?

I would like comments as to what works for them and would appreciate any suggestions.

Dennis

Re: Threading Pipe advise

The 400s are real work horses but I finally threw the last one away and just kept my 300s. Unless you're using them for geared threaders the 300 is easier to use.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

the 300 is a great portable threader up to 2'' or 6'' with a 161 geared threader

i would look into the ridgid 1210 oiless threader. good for 1/2-1''.

ps. my wife, joey loves to play with it.

every few weeks you can find it on ebay.

the hand held ratcheting threaders will either make you or break you

love taos n.m. rafting the box

welcome and join the fun

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

love taos n.m. rafting the box

rick.
        OT-You raft?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal/NM Dennis View Post
          I left my dear Rigid 400 and most of my drop head dies in NM. I could strap that baby on my taigate and thread away. I want to thread pipe, mostly 1/2 to 1 inch, for jobs that come around once a month or so.

I could do the following:

3. Order a Wheeler-Rex 7991 Sidekick II. This looks good for threading this range of pipe, is light weight (58lbs), but does not look like a machine that one can use to put the fittings on the end of the pipe. Also they cost a bit ($1400 or so, including tax and shipping). Does anyone have experience with this type of machine?

I would like comments as to what works for them and would appreciate any suggestions.

Dennis
          I have the Sidekick II. It's a great machine.
          Other plumbers I know have no complaints about them.

Tracy

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will treat myself to the sidekick II.

NorCal/NM Dennis

PS Not clear as to how to post a quick reply.

Comment

This is a quick reply. It is just like a "Post Reply" but you don't get all of the smiley faces and font choices.

Mark

Comment

I love my Amigo 2 and it will thread over scotcoat, a huge plus. Not all that speedy, but for what I do, remodels and that, I can still pipe in a gas system in a day to a day and a half, all galvy.

As for Taos, New Mexico, I love Taos, Questa, Red River, Angel Fire, the whole enchanted circle. Used to up there 2-3 times a month, very nice drive and very pretty in the winter.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Pipe dope is used as a sealant. Once it is functional, it is very hard to break the joint. Threaded pipe has a way of not threading back precisely the same once it has been torque the initial instance. I would stick with pipe dope.

Comment

Working...
                  X