Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any first time tips for using Pro-Press?

On Monday I will be be doing the stack work on a small commercial building, and starting the water on Tuesday.

Our shop is 'test driving' a Pro Press Machine, as of which one, I'm not sure. I've read it's important to clean, and debur the pipe so the o-ring doesn't rip.

Is there any tips/key points you wish someone told you before using Pro-Press? I don't wanna develop bad habits, and then continue doing it that way for years.

Thanks.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Any first time tips for using Pro-Press?

you need a sharpie/ marker to mark your fitting stop depths. very important.

also keep your finger off the triger until you're ready to crimp and the jaws are on the fitting. once you start the cycle, it doesn't stop.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick.

Other than an obvious/clear sign, is there any tell tale signs of a bad seal?
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Make sure when you press that the jaws are square to the o ring indention, it can make for ugly sharp points on the fitting. Viega rep said that it "probably wouldn't have leaked" But I was right to cut it out. I was lucky it was only 3/4 and 1/2"

Comment

Tell us how it installs.I'm going to be hanging some long runs of 1.5" with obvious branches under a drywalled and taped,no paint,commercial second floor.A lot of real tradesmen are going to see the system through open T-BAR cieling with the taped drywall grid background.This stuff go in straight?

Crooked pipes are unacceptable.

Comment

There's another good thread on here under "ProPress Pipe Alignment" that will help you. Guys have made suggestions on how to keep their runs straighter. It might help.

Comment

I've been using the ProPress tools for several years now and contrary to the Reps opinions and the manuals description of proper pressing techniques I get the 'kinked' pipe after a press. This kinking occurs to a greater degree as the pipe diameter increases. It is recommended that you offset your pressing from one side to the other on a fitting to correct the kink, but this is difficult in close quarters where the gun will not fit.
              As for vertical runs of large pipe, good luck keeping the pipe plumb. I often hold a torpedo level against the pipe as I am pressing so I can counter the guns pull/push during the press.
              The tool is great but the resulting crooked looking runs can be disappointing to the perfectionist in all of us Fortunately all of my piping gets insulated so the visual issue goes away.

Comment

Hey Aaron,

How was your experience with the Propress?
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                X