X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX Problems?

Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-10-2010, 05:33 PM.

Re: PEX Problems?

Thats simple.
    Type "PEX lawsuit" into your web browser...also try "Kitech lawsuit", "Zurn Lawsuit".
    Granted, not all PEX is floading homes everywhere...and maybe alot of the trouble is trial and error, but I'd as soon avoid that "learning curve" for a few years...if thats what it is.

Note: I have good friends both here and in the "real" world that don't share my opnion, it's all good...just opinion.

Comment

The owner of the shop is not really a fan of Pex but I do carry the fittings, pipe and crimper's on the van. Generally it looks terrible imo and when it came for me to re-pipe my house I ran copper.

We have been getting copper pex fittings in lately when we order and I have noticed the crimp rings seem different. I also have to be very careful about how I soldier brass fitting adapters because I have had two leak on me. The heavy brass inside a copper fitting can cause problems if not heated correctly.
      Last edited by Tyman; 03-20-2008, 09:30 PM.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I have been using a lot of pex in the last 4-5 years. So far no problems at all that I know of.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I like the watts cinchclamp system. SS rings which can handle more vibration and since they clamp off the side, you can see the entire ring and ensure each crimp is perfect. Best part-1 crimper does 4 sizes and cost 60-100.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Tyman, the difference in the fittings is they come from different manufacturers. That copper PEX 90 is very likely from Sioux Chief, and the brass fittings are from Viega, Watts, Zurn, or whatever other brand your supplier carries. I suspect the Sioux Chief stuff is cheaper. I know my supplier is switching more of the fittings also.

http://www.siouxchief.com/B_Product_...GroupID=201250

Comment

It was my understanding it was all Zurn pex stuff according to our supplier rep.
              Last edited by Tyman; 03-20-2008, 08:41 AM.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

One of the problems with the crimp ring system is that there are multiple manufacturers making the fittings, rings and even tools. My company has been installing Wirsbo pex and fittings for over five years now. We install well over 50,000 feet of it a year, for domestic water, hydronic heat and radiant heat. In the time that we have been using Wirsbo we have not had one single failure, callback, or warranty issue. Wirsbo manufactures all of their own pipe (no third party suppliers) and fittings.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  weaselistic characteristics.
                  What a term!
                  I'm stealing yer material...I like that.

Comment

Have been using SS Oetiker rings with brass crimp fittings for several years and have not had any problems. Very versatile system of piping. Saves time and money. If I need to make any changes, a flathead screw driver and a pliers makes quick work of clamp removal. Quicker installation time makes up for the cost of the rings and fittings.

Comment

What is code for supporting PEX tubing below floor joists especially hot water this contractor took the shortess route between points ,as a electrician if I ran wires this way I would looking for a job,also is it good to run hot and side by each without insulation?

Comment

Originally posted by churchi View Post
                        What is code for supporting PEX tubing below floor joists especially hot water this contractor took the shortess route between points ,as a electrician if I ran wires this way I would looking for a job,also is it good to run hot and side by each without insulation?

Minmum support for PEX is every 32".

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have been working with Vanguard PEX for 3 years or so now and have never seen a leak. A ring overlooked and not crimped leaking yes, but never a leak doe to a defective fitting.

Comment

Working...
                          X