X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX SSC clamps versus standard method

I see most contractors in my area using the standard method as compared to the SSC (Stainless Steel Clamp). Why? Is the SSC method less reliable? Anyone been using the SSC method for a while? Should I stop using the method?

FOr a visual explanation between standard and SSC, follow link below

http://www.pexinfo.com/

Re: PEX SSC clamps versus standard method

I like the watts cinchclamp method(ssc). You get a perfect crimp every time because you can visually see the entire ring during the clamping process. SS is also less subseptiable to vibration then brass or copper rings. The price of a ssc crimper-$80 and it does 3/8-1". Price of the =traditional crimper-$100-$200 for 1 size. The downside it is relatively new technology. Only time will tell which last longer.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks

Most contractors here go with the copper rings, I prefer the SSC but given the fact that I seem to be the only one to either prefer it or use it, I started second guessing myself.

So you have used on some jobs and not callbacks?

Comment

Been using it for around 3 years now and not one call back
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Again ....nice to know

Comment

I use the copper crimp system because that was the first available for the area and still is predominantly what is here. Makes it difficult if you want to change systems unless you are able to stockpile alot of fittings/rings. This IS a big deal. No supply houses here carry SSC clamps or Wirsbo installation tools/fittings. Some act like they don't know what I'm talking about when I've asked. One supply house is selling Wirsbo with crimp ring fitting systems.

I've only seen the SSC clamps once and they were used by a Well Contractor. I like the system from what I've seen but I've not tested it. One crimper for all sizes...GREAT!

There are only a couple of disadvantages I've seen. The rings are difficult to remove after a crimp, if you need too, and I may not know the trick to doing it. And the rings cost twice as much when I checked on them. Ring cost may not be a big deal to some, but I do watch all costs. My opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              There are only a couple of disadvantages I've seen. The rings are difficult to remove after a crimp, if you need too,
              Use a dremel, I keep one in the truck now, keep finding uses for it all the time.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I use the copper crimp system because that was the first available for the area and still is predominantly what is here. Makes it difficult if you want to change systems unless you are able to stockpile alot of fittings/rings. This IS a big deal. No supply houses here carry SSC clamps or Wirsbo installation tools/fittings. Some act like they don't know what I'm talking about when I've asked. One supply house is selling Wirsbo with crimp ring fitting systems.

I've only seen the SSC clamps once and they were used by a Well Contractor. I like the system from what I've seen but I've not tested it. One crimper for all sizes...GREAT!

There are only a couple of disadvantages I've seen. The rings are difficult to remove after a crimp, if you need too, and I may not know the trick to doing it. And the rings cost twice as much when I checked on them. Ring cost may not be a big deal to some, but I do watch all costs. My opinion.

J.C.
                I use the SSC , because of ease of use. I do very few big jobs other wise I would only use wirsbo because it is so inexpensive. last time I bought SSC crimps they were $.30 a piece . almost a buck per 1/2 T. Wirsbo used to private lable SSC but they stopped because of a few problems -----So I heard. Take that for not meaning much.

Comment

I buy mine on ebay in bulk. The last purchase I made was over a year ago and I ended up buying a 1000 in each size. The 1" rings ended up costing around 10 cents a piece. Can't remember who I bought them from. Just keep your eyes open.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm sure there is literature somewhere that says not to do it,but if you make a bad crimp,just rotate the crimpers 90 degrees,recrimp the band and twist...it will fall right off.

Comment

Working...
                    X